Better muffs for Alpha One drives?

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Have a mercruiser (4.5) for the first time in a few years. After I drain the block of water, I plan to run it on muffs for AF but the muffs I have don't form a good seal and leak badly. I am worried about losing most of my AF before the engine gets to temp even if pre-warmed.

I currently have this style: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61KtJtwxmmL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Does anyone have muffs that leak less?

What about these: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81yYtjMIp8L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
these

Attachments

• Merc Quicksilver muffs.jpg
    Merc Quicksilver muffs.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 12

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Have a mercruiser (4.5) for the first time in a few years. After I drain the block of water, I plan to run it on muffs for AF but the muffs I have don't form a good seal and leak badly. I am worried about losing most of my AF before the engine gets to temp even if pre-warmed.

I currently have this style: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61KtJtwxmmL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Does anyone have muffs that leak less?

What about these: https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81yYtjMIp8L._AC_SX425_.jpg
did you try twisting the rectangles that seal to drive 90 degrees so they are vertical. These are basically the same ones on use on my Alpha gen 2

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
did you try twisting the rectangles that seal to drive 90 degrees so they are vertical. These are basically the same ones on use on my Alpha gen 2
Yes they are vertical to match the water intakes. I timed it with the engine off and the 5 gallons empties in about 2 minutes or just less which I am not sure is enough time.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I tried several of the rectangular ones I think the rubber is just a bit too stiff, the rubber on the Merc/Quicksilver ones is softer and it seems to fit better plus the clamp allows you to get it really snug.

void7910

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I tried several of the rectangular ones I think the rubber is just a bit too stiff, the rubber on the Merc/Quicksilver ones is softer and it seems to fit better plus the clamp allows you to get it really snug.

Thanks. Crappy thing is I don't live near marinas and Amazon has an inflated price right now. Probably just give up and order them. New-to-me boat winterization fun.

zellerj

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't see why you have to run antifreeze through the outdrive. With the block and exhaust drain plugs out, take off the J- hose from the bottom of the engine water pump and drain that. For extra assurance with a shop vac on blow - blow out the remaining water. You can pour AF into the engine and exhaust by removing hoses from the thermostat housing. I leave my engine dry and do not use AF to winterize it.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Don't see why you have to run antifreeze through the outdrive. With the block and exhaust drain plugs out, take off the J- hose from the bottom of the engine water pump and drain that. For extra assurance with a shop vac on blow - blow out the remaining water. You can pour AF into the engine and exhaust by removing hoses from the thermostat housing. I leave my engine dry and do not use AF to winterize it.
I do the same, but if you want to backfill you can do it from the thermostat too.

I take the hose off that delivers raw water from outdrive to thermostat housing. I use a J shaped piece of an old radiator hose off one of my cars as a funnel to pour in AF. If you put the plugs back in you can completely fill if you like, I just use it to rinse out any water or water in sediment in jackets as we are in a very shallow sandy cove

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
that's how I've done it for 20 years, just back fill, it's easier, less stressful and probably uses less AF.

However, the OP has the new 4.5, it has a complex easy drain set up, with lots of hoses..... when I winterized my brother's 2020 4.5 I got a long thin funnel and put it in the vent for the easy drain, just filled it that way. It takes a while because it's a small hole but it does work.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
what I disliked about the round muffs is there is just one source of water, either left or right side. The 8 holes on the outdrive might not allow enough volume to flow in vs the rectangle ones that send water to both sides.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I’ve run my V6 Cobra on those for like a half hr with no issues. Runs right at the temp it should, so I think it’s OK….