best wood for transom replace

Matt G

Recruit
im am currently starting the process of replacing the transom in a 1984 starcraft islander 261v, what would be the best type of wood to use, any help would be greatly appreciated.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: best wood for transom replace

hi matt......Welcome to iboats.

you can use just about any exterior grade plywood or marine grade......

however......with very few exceptions.....you cannot use pressure treated plywood. MOST pressure treated plywood will cause a glavanic response that will eat your boat !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Lots of the Tin Boat guys on here use the Arauco Plywood from Lowe's or Home Depot. Floor Underlayment is also good. Both use waterproof glue and are practically void free in their laminates. Key on transoms is to seal the edges really well. On a Tin Boat Transom I'd recommend using Epoxy as your resin. No need for Cloth when using it. After that maintenance is the key. Whenever you need to tap into the transom, Always predrill and coat the holes and the bolts or screws with epoxy when installing. This will ensure no water gets to the wood.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Matt, welcome to iboats! Looks like the guys have ya all set with great transom recommendations, so, I am here to politely ask for some photos of that 26 foot Islander:D

tpenfield

Staff member

I have wondered about using StarBoard in transom core and stringer replacement applications??? Too heavy or OK? Expensive vs. marine ply?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I have wondered about using StarBoard in transom core and stringer replacement applications??? Too heavy or OK? Expensive vs. marine ply?

I'd venture to say the general thoughts around here are that there are stronger, less expensive options available.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Plywood prepped and sealed is the way to go. I am guessing you are dealing with a I/O setup?

Starboard will flex and rally is not transom material.

There are companies who are making ALL aluminum transoms with tubing and thicker aluminum plates however, the price of the aluminum and welding will not increase the value of your boat but will lighten your wallet.

The old plywood lasted since 1984 which is over 20 years. Are you planning on keeping this boat for 20+ more years.... exterior plywood will work fine or any other exterior plywood....... just not pressure treated since aluminum and the chemicals in the PT do not get along.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think that if your doing the transom I would spend the extra money and buy Marine plywood. It has more plys than any other plywood and therefor it is much more stronger then regular wood. I have a piece in the garage that's 3/4'' and its 11 plys. So if your looking for something to last longer and be stronger, I would just use Marine plywood for the transom.
Just Saying