Best way to stop a boat?

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
I know my owners manual says to shift into neutral and let the engine come down to idle rpms before shifting into reverse. I have seen owners shift directly in to revers from a slow throttle to force the boat to a quicker stop. I take it thats not a good idea? What are the options?

lets say I'm coming in moor with another boat and I realize I'm coming in to fast, can I shift into reverse for a sec to slow the boat?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best way to stop a boat?

Shifting from forward to reverse puts a tremendous strain on the gears and dogs. Normally boats slow down very quickly when you back off the throttle. The trick to being a good pilot is never let the boat get away from you - at low or high speed. Plan ahead and come into docks against the wind or current, whichever is strongest (or both if you can). If you cannot come into the dock against the wind or current, plan to stop several feet away from the dock, and allow the wind or current push you into the dock.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

While it is best to do it by the book or as Chris points out you can shift to reverse to slow/stop. If I thought I would do damage to my boat or another I woulld do it in a heart beat. Remember when you shift into reverse (or forward for that matter) shift positively.

salty87

Commander

ideally, you wouldn't be in the position to avoid a collision but stuff happens. hopefully, not even your fault.

i'd only do it as a last resort, you could stall out and then have more problems.

don't approach anything any faster than you're willing to hit it

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Done right I wouldn?t worry about using reverse thrust in that application.

The way my slip is situated I basically have to make almost 3 point turn with a 6-8 kt. cross current when the tide is running. I have no choice but to maneuver using quick applications of reverse thrust to control the boat. With a properly adjusted throttle there should be ample time for the motor to drop RPM before you can get it into reverse.

As stated above, be positive on your shifts into reverse. I can?t stand to hear that noise when people slowwwly drop a boat into gear.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

sure, owners do it...and knock a little more material off the gears every time...higher revs = higher probability of breaking something.

Be aware that the prop steer is amplified in reverse...reverse thrust with the motor pointed straight ahead, the stern will drift to port.

ziggy

Admiral

if ya stop yer boat fast, w/reverse. ya also run the risk of water intrusion into yer engine if yer flappers don't do their job or you have no flappers.....or maybe being swamped by your own wave from behind....rev. is not a brake on a boat. and thats not takeing into account what others are sayin about it tearing up yer equipment......

do what ya gotta do if it's an emergency. but.....

lets say I'm coming in moor with another boat and I realize I'm coming in to fast
don't put yer self in that posistion......it's avoidable usually.......

best advise above, and advise i try to think of all the time is.......

don't approach anything any faster than you're willing to hit it

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

boats don't have brakes. yes you use reverse to manuver, but it's not a brake. like said don't count on it. engines can die at idle. but properly tuned and maintained they shouldn't.

years ago mercury made and engine that did not have neutral, you shifted into forward and started the engine, if you needed reverse, the engine died you shifted to reverse, and restarted. the only reason i know this is, my dad didn't buy a boat i really wanted, because he thought it was totally stupid.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I have to use reverse a bit to manuever onto a trailer, or beach it when windy. I will go in idle speed a little closer to the shore/trailer than yall would. Then I go into neutral, and let it sit a bit to idle down, then use reverse to slow my self to a stop within a few inches of the shore, trailer bunks. In reverse, I will hardly ever go above idle in that situation (I do when backing off the shore or trailer, but never more than 1/4ish throttle.)
If I don't do it like this, the wind will blow my little aluminum off to the side. I have to keep it in gear to steer longer than yall do. But, the prop is no longer spinning by the time I do hit reverse. It is just the same as hitting reverse from a dead stop to back away from a dock/trailer.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

years ago mercury made and engine that did not have neutral, you shifted into forward and started the engine, if you needed reverse, the engine died you shifted to reverse, and restarted. the only reason i know this is, my dad didn't buy a boat i really wanted, because he thought it was totally stupid.[/QUOTE]

These were called "dock busters" and they actually ran in both directions. Motor would be turned off and restarted in reverse (rotation).
I saw one when they were new seemed to work pretty well but over time
the least falter and you got a "busted dock".
I always try to keep my boat under control when manuvering but over the years there have been many times I had to stop the boat with reverse and shift quicker than may be reccomended.All the way back to my first shifter
a 14 hp Evinrude from the early 50s.I have only replaced one clutch dog on
a motor that probably had the problem when I bought it.I have 2 50 hp Evinrudes almost 20 years old.no clutch dog problems.
Point is reasonable care in operation and should be no problem.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'll totally agree with extra slow is always best around a dock, but I am struggling with the recommendations to avoid using reverse for slowing/stopping . . . :confused: Unless the wind is perfect, which is rare, I always use reverse around docks. A good example is when approaching for a side tie. I come in at a pretty shallow angle, the last fairly long stretch in neutral, but still moving forward. Slow enough that if the engine or I screw up, I won't hit harder than I can live with. Anyway, a few feet before contact, I turn the wheel hard towards the dock and put the drive in reverse (shifted properly as per the manual . . .). This technique if done correctly will align the boat parallel to the dock without contact, yet close enough for you or your crew to reach the dock and tie her off.

Another example: I often drop passengers off directly from the bow. In this case I approach the dock at 90 degrees, again very slowly and the last stretch in neutral. Just before contact I put her in reverse and when she stops perfectly just before contact, I put her in neutral and my passengers gently step off. No contact whatsoever, but I have no idea how you do that without reverse or somebody's arm . . . which in my way of thinking is bad anyway. I often tell my passengers not to use their arms as I will sacrifice my rubrail before their arm (see Dockside Chat broken leg thread . . . :eek: ).

Frankly, I have absolutely no idea why anybody here is recommending against using reverse as a brake around docks when done properly. Yes, I approach VERY slowly, and roll my eyes at idiots that maneuver at higher speeds, but I always use reverse (or forward) as a brake when gently sliding into a slip (I often reverse into slips). How else do you guys show off by docking correctly :confused: That's half the fun for me . . . When was the last time any of you guys was on a Charter, or a water taxi, or anything with a licensed captain? I guarantee they use reverse to stop their crafts before contact . . .

With all of the above said, I posted a thread recently about a friend of mine's daughter throwing Daddy's boat in reverse at 20+ MPH. Now that really sucked :eek:

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I gotta go with QC on this one. I drive my boat to the dock and stop it with thrust. Never fast though (engine never goes above idle), and I use neutral to control my speed.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Tasha, The shuting off of the engine and spinning it into reverse is now the preferred way of obtaining reverse on snowmobiles. The technology never went away! Not that this is all that applicable to boats, but I thought you might be interested.

I would think that any boat with forward motion would have the propeller spinning (currents not withstanding). Reverse is a tool, that should be used judiciously but most certainly can and should be used. Angle of attack during landings are usually dictated by wind and current. Paddlewheel effect should be taken advantage of, or at least known, when approaching a dock. QC's touch and go's are a good technique, but only if your boat is an open bow, or affords this type of landing. I would recommend big fenders. Not just the $10 jobs at Wally World, but big, fat, properly inflated jobbers. I always carry at least one "fatty" with me at all times. And put about 15ft of line on it so you can hang it in any configuration that best suit's the situation. I just picked up a new one yesterday and it ran about $80 bucks. They will help prevent possible injury, and if you think the price is too high check out the price of getting your rub rail replaced or some gel touched up. I use them for rafting when the guys on either side are trying to tie off life jackets as a means of protection. Clowns. Try placing them at the widest part of the boat and as far to the stern as possible.

Just a suggestion, but sometimes the tools in the box are exactly what you need. I personally like the ones where the line goes all the way through the middle. I also like to use braid on braid line with them. It works well with the quick pretzel hitch. Heck they sell them right here. And the price is good.

http://www.iboats.com/Fender_10x26_...7330006--**********.274791260--view_id.169074

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Sternpierview.jpg