Best way to deal with this miswiring

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
New to me 1998 Sea Ray 290DA with twins.

Trim tabs are wired backwards and up side down. When calling for up tab on port side the SB will go down.

I loosened the panel to get at the wires, figuring I would be able to just move some wires around thinking there would only be a max of 3 wires to each switch. But no, there are 6 wires to each, making the possibility of me screwing this up infinitely greater.

Any help on which wires to move would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• photo290648.jpg
    photo290648.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo290649.jpg
    photo290649.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 0

Alumarine

Captain
If you went to the manufacturers site you could download an instruction/wiring manual.

You don't say what make they are but with my Bennett's I believe when I push the top of the right toggle the port tab moves down and vice versa.

NYBo

Admiral
Can you pop the switches out and turn them upside down and swap left and right?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
on bennett tabs

when you push the port bow down (top of left switch), it lowers the starboard tab, which raises the starboard aft corner, which pushes the port bow down

when you push the port stern down (bottom of left switch) it raises the starboard tab, which lowers the starboard aft corner, which allows the port bow to raise

same for starboard side.

each switch is a dual pole, dual throw switch. one fires the motor in the right direction, one opens a solenoid

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Trim tabs are wired so the hull reacts to switch input, not so much which way the tab moves,.....

CurrentObsession

Petty Officer 1st Class
on bennett tabs

when you push the port bow down (top of left switch), it lowers the starboard tab, which raises the starboard aft corner, which pushes the port bow down

when you push the port stern down (bottom of left switch) it raises the starboard tab, which lowers the starboard aft corner, which allows the port bow to raise

same for starboard side.

each switch is a dual pole, dual throw switch. one fires the motor in the right direction, one opens a solenoid

Wow
Learn something new everyday on this site.....I guess this old dog will half to learn a new trick.

Thanks