FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
i have a 1990 force 90hp ,do i take the neg and positive off to chage battery or do i leave the neg and positive cables on?also my charger has 3 settings,6v/6amp,,,12v/6amp,,or 12v/2amp,which one do i put it in?
I assume you want to charge the battery while in the boat, otherwise you would remove both cables to remove the battery.
Generally, most repair procedures require removing the neg terminal before beginning. So It probably is a good idea to at least do that to protect any instrumentation on board. That being said, I never do it. I just clip on the charger clamps ang plug it in.
It is usually better to slowly charge the battery because it outgasses less, so if you have the time, charge at 12 volt 2 amp setting. If you are in a hurry, charge at the higher setting. No autos or boats since to early '50 s use a 6 volt system so I don't know why the charger manufacturers even put that setting in.
As far as chargers with the 6 volt setting.Keep in mind there are lots of people that collect vintage cars boats tractors,trucks etc.I'm not a wealthy guy and at one point I had 3 boats and 2 cars that used 6 volt systems.And over the years I've had many 6 volt boats and cars.I presently don't have any vintage vehicles but when I look at chargers I don't even consider chargers without 6 volt settings.
It is possible to change a car to a 12 volt system but then you no longer have a comepletly stock car and all you have gained over a sound 6 volt is the ability to run modern electrical equipment. blah blah blah sorry for the rant.