Best Utility Aluminum Boats 14ft

msrcarrera

Cadet
Re: Best Utility Aluminum Boats 14ft

Thanks for all the elaborate responses. I weight 190lbs, my wife 160, my children 34, 32 and 25lbs. The Suzuki 25hp weights 167lbs. Gas is aprox 6lbs per gallon. I mainly plan to use the boat on lakes, eventually some watersports with the childern. This one of the reasons I am looking for a 25hp engine.

msrcarrera

Cadet

which websites or vendors do you recommend for finding a top quality boat?

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Thanks for all the elaborate responses. I weight 190lbs, my wife 160, my children 34, 32 and 25lbs. The Suzuki 25hp weights 167lbs. Gas is aprox 6lbs per gallon. I mainly plan to use the boat on lakes, eventually some watersports with the childern. This one of the reasons I am looking for a 25hp engine.

get the widest one you can find....it will give you more freeboard...

because really five people in a 14 ft boat is a lot.( especially young restless children)

and that 4 stroke weighs a LOT!!!

id lean towards a 16 footer, with your family and the motor you want to use....

it wont be much more money or trailering problems...but will add a huge safety factor..

Ibaots has some listings and if you find a dealer near you, you can go in person and check it out( mandatory i would think)

good luck

bob

Huron Angler

Admiral

Based on you intended use I think you would be happier with an open-bow or closed bow runabout anywhere from 15-17'. Much more room and higher sides for the kids.

My 16' Starcraft SS is a great little aluminum boat with plenty of room and great for tubing and skiing. I got it used for $1,000 w/ a running 80hp outboard.

Expidia

Commander

The other poster is right. Now that you've told us your planned use you are looking at the wrong boat. A 14 foot utility boat is for fishing not tubing.

Go with a minimum 16 footer. Buy a used one since you don't really know what you want. If you buy new you are going to pay a big sales commission which you won't recover when you move up in size.

As long as the used boat does not leak the worst case is the motor is not great. So just buy a new motor. Get at least a 50 as an example if it's rated for max 75 hp. And then you can transfer that motor to your next boat. With little kids you want a good motor. Then you can tube, ski etc.

Start with your local classified and look at craigs list. Don't be afraid to drive a little out of your area to pick up a great deal on say a 3 year old rig. If you find a good boat if you don't have a hitch ball just get one put on at U-Haul. They are reasonable and quick. I get all my trailer htiches done at U-Haul.

I'd stay away from new and dealers. They will sell you an underpowered package to keep the price down to make the sale and you won't be happy with the boats performance. Shop around a little for a few year old rig. Many times they throw in all the accessories cause they are getting out of boating. Those accessories add up fast.

Check back with us to let us know how you made out or ask if you we think the boat you are looking at is a good value.

Good Luck :)

Wishiniwuzfishin

Chief Petty Officer

Gotta add Sea Nymph...and they may not exactly fit your description but I LOVE the old Lonestars. LOVE EM!!! Built like a tank

Huron Angler

Admiral

I checked out Naden's website, those are some nice aluminum hulls. They seem to be very well built.

Thanks for mentioning that Roscoe:D

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Based on you intended use I think you would be happier with an open-bow or closed bow runabout anywhere from 15-17'. Much more room and higher sides for the kids.

My 16' Starcraft SS is a great little aluminum boat with plenty of room and great for tubing and skiing. I got it used for $1,000 w/ a running 80hp outboard.

The Starcrafts are hard to beat.

You, however, asked about high end boats. I have an Alumaweld I will never get rid of.