Best Utility Aluminum Boats 14ft

msrcarrera

Cadet
I am looking into buying a 14ft utility aluminum boats with bench seats. Which are the highest quality manufacturers?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Best Utility Aluminum Boats 14ft

Welcome to iboats.

Starcraft
Lund
Tracker

The 14' aluminum's last forever ;) Just look for your best deal.

Alumarine

Captain

Alumarine are good as well. They're used in a lot of camps.

As Bob said, they last forever.

robert graham

Admiral

Check out Express Boats and Sea Ark Boats. Sea Ark makes a great line of aluminum boats from simple jons, bass boats, commercial work boats, patrol boats for Coast Guard-type applications, and more. I have an Express 1872 all-welded and it's just very tough and durable. There are some lighter-weight "super cheap' aluminum riveted boats on the market that may suit your needs, all depends on what you're gonna use it for. Good Luck!

CATransplant

Admiral

How do you intend to use the boat? That could be a deciding factor. And, when you say "utility" boat, do you specifically mean a flat-bottomed jon boat? That's the usual meaning.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Crestliner, Mirrocraft, Alumacraft, Lowe, and my personal favorite, Starcraft all make quality aluminum 14 footers.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can't get much better than LUND

Not my boat

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

for a 14 foot utility, MIRRORCRAFT and DURANAUTIC

I had a 14 foot mirrocraft and it was TOAD!! of a boat...solid...rigid

and duranautic makes and offshore version in 14 ft that is deep and rugged.

if they are making them in aluminum of at least .08 then you may get a good boat.

good luck

bob

Expidia

Commander

- middle of the road
- high end
- what on earth are you talking about?

That's funny, that's just what went through my mind when I read Trakker :D

Nobody mentioned Sylvan or Smokercraft. They are right up there with the others. Same company now under Smakercraft but they still sell both brands, same boats different names. Great utility boats to find used!

I owned a Sylvan Alaskan utility boat which I bought new. Made as well as my Lund!

msrcarrera

Cadet

I am looking for a deep V boat. What do you thinka about the Mirrocraft line. I am looking into a simple 14ft, Outfitter with bench seats. I really don't know much about these boats, so your input is greatly appreciated. I will put a 25hp 4stroke to the boat

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am looking for a deep V boat. What do you thinka about the Mirrocraft line. I am looking into a simple 14ft, Outfitter with bench seats. I really don't know much about these boats, so your input is greatly appreciated. I will put a 25hp 4stroke to the boat

any boat you get make sure is has lots of transom strength...look for the most trusses and braces you can find in a 14 boat in your price range...that 25 4 stroke will be a heavy load for a 14 ft utility, most likely..

especially trailering along bumpy roads!!!!!!may need a transom saver....

good luck

bob

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am looking into buying a 14ft utility aluminum boats with bench seats. Which are the highest quality manufacturers?

were are you located?????

if you are down south near alabama and or lousianna, look up F&F boats, they will make you a custom boat that is rock solid for a good price...

you will be amazed at how much boat you could get for the same price of the cookie cuuter models, with two salesmen and a middle man company in between you and the maker

bob

CATransplant

Admiral

Mirrocrafts are fine. The reality is that all of the deep-v aluminum boats on the market are pretty darned good these days. I do have one suggestion, though. Buy a used one. You'll save some money, and if it's in good shape, it's as good as new.

I'm not sure where you are, but here in MN, there are dozens and dozens available and ready to bolt your 25 hp on and go.

wa_ssv197

Petty Officer 1st Class

Didn't realize you wanted a Deep V take a look at Gregor

Jeep Man

Commander

My Mirro is 55 yrs. old and still in use. What does that tell you?

green4themoney

Petty Officer 1st Class

what do you guys think abount legend? are they any good? and does anybody know how much a lund wc 14 dlx costs for just the boat? thanks! im looking to get a new 14 foot as well

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

My Mirro is 55 yrs. old and still in use. What does that tell you?

if he is in the used market....a LOT!!!!

if he is buying new.....maybe nothing at all!! unfortunatley

all kinds of ways to find differences in boats 55 years apart!!

enjoy!!

bob

Expidia

Commander

Most of the style you are looking for are in the range of $1500-2000 for the upper manufacturers listed above.

I think I paid $1500-1700 for a new boat. A left over 1 year old model. I think it was measured at 13' 9".

I liked the Sylvan Smokercraft line because I liked the heavy full flooring, so you are not standing on ribs all day and also the split bench seat models which gives you more room to walk around while fishing. They also have real high sides (called freeboard, the measurement from the top of the rail to the water).

One tip though. Read the capacity plate closely. I sold my Sylvan for the Lund because I first used a 4 stroke merc 9.9 on it. As another poster mentioned 4 strokes are heavy for these small boats. It's max was 25 hp, but you could not put the max 25hp safely because you would be over it's total capacity.

Lund does not even tell you these specs on their website spec sheet, but the tell you for their Jon boats because the Jon boats are wider.

Once you put one or two more people plus the gear, 6 gal of gas and even the 9.9 4 stroke you look back at the transom and the water is only an inch from coming into the boat and most of these utility boats have no splash wells to channel water back out of the boat. If a jerk flys by your rear while you are sitting there fishing . . . while he waves to you with a beer in his other hand, it could swamp the boat.

Once you calculate the weight of a 25 4 stroke at 150 plus pounds, gear and gas you could not ever ride with 3 people. Even two is pushing it.

Even if you found a used 25 hp 2 stroke, but the water line will still be one inch away as it was with my 9.9. A 15 hp 4 stroke is heavy too.

If you get a 14 footer some models are actually closer to 15 feet. You might be OK with a 25 hp 4 stroke. The wider the boat the better. Check out each capacity plate closely.
You can find most new boats specs online to compare. Those boats all weigh less than 300 lbs! Tough to put over 600 lbs in them.

Where and how do you plan to use this type of 14 foot boat?

You should absolutely take a test ride with another person and your gear before you buy.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I think 25 is a lot of motor for a 14, too, as to power. It's doable but not a good idea if you are letting children or inexperienced operators use it. Cut back 10 hp and put the saved weight toward more beer.
Then the weight factor of a 4 stroke is a good point.
I like the 14' Lowe wide body we have; very sturdy and stable. used to run a 25 on it, now a 15. I'm partial to flat bottoms over V's, mainly for stability, which is important in a small boat.
I don't see any reason to buy a new one; there's not much that can go wrong, or hide, on a used one besides the obvious, and at that, not much that can't be fixed for way less than the difference in price of a new one.