Best skis for beginners?

oldsquaw76

Seaman Apprentice
Ive been out of the water skiing loop for a while, just bought a boat and im gonna get back into the game, im 6 6 230, and i was wondering what skis i should buy to start with, i used to slalom ski, but dont know if ill be able to right away, so im looking at buying a set of skis to start. witch pair of skis are best for double and slalom skiing?

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best skis for beginners?

The new wide body skis are great for dual purpose use. Easier for learning on one or two, just don't expect the performance of a good slalom ski. But for most recreational activities they are the way to go. Connely, O'brien, and HO(herb o'brien) all make comparable products find a good set that is on sale with the bindings that you like(very important especially for learning) and go for it. Or try and find a used set somewhere but look into the wide body stuff for starting out.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

The wide skis are good, but they take a different approach to get up on. Because they present such a wide face (= more resistance) to the water, you can't sit on your back foot like the old days. It's kind of tricky for those of us who learned a long time ago - almost counter-intuitive, because you need to get the ski tips DOWN and the rears up, otherwise the boat will yank your arms out of their sockets.

It took me 3 summers of trying to get up on mine. Somewhere there's a post string detailing my trevails and all the help people here offered.

Good luck!

Dave

Gnu2boating

Cadet

I have been wondering the same thing...

I taught skiing on Lake Powell when I was just out of HighSchool. Haven't been on a ski in about 20 years.

As with the changes in boats... I used the 18' runabouts at the marina or more often, the customer's own boats... I suspect the technology in skis has changed.

Thanks for the information... especially since I will be teaching my children... rather than other families.

synergy141

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Get a descent set of wide combo skis , I bought the O'brien Celebritys last summer at boatersworld and they are very easy to get up on since they are fairly wide. another good combo ski is the Connley Odyssey. They are both under $150. I checked the Iboats store and they dont have a great selection of combo skis. Check out Overtons.com or West Marine.

Rogue427

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anybody know if the old wood ski's good for learing? I see these for sale on craigslist cheap sometimes. I would like to find a set of Thomson wood ski's for my Dad. Thats what he used when we were kids.:)

Soccerrefx

Cadet

I have to agree the wide bodies are the best. I had never skied before (always on a tube or a knee board) I am 36, 6 ft and 230. I got a set of wide bodies for Christmas from the in laws. I was up in about 4 pulls out of the water. By the 3rd weekend I was actually kicking one ski and was able to slalom. My wife was able to use the same skis. They are o'briens but i cannot find them on overton's or west marine. But they have a set on overton's the Vortex 159.99

good Luck

haulnazz15

Captain

Any set of skis will be fine for beginners. The wide-body shape is more helpful for those who are in the 200+ weight range. As long as they are 67" or more, there won't be an issue. Most combo skis have a slolam that will suffice for occassional use, but won't satisfy the internediate or advanced riders. Slolam skis are expensive to purchase unless you really outgrow the combo set. A decent slolam ski will run $350+, with some of the most advanced skis topping $1K.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

My kids had good luck learning on a set of O'Brien Junior Amigos. They are wide, short and easy to handle. They also have provision for a strap that holds the ski's close together. This eliminates the usual problem of a kid not being strong enough to keep the skis together when trying to get up.