Best sharpener for my Kabar?

ezbtr

Commander
Had it for YEARS, trying different whetstones, carbide/ceramic(works on all others) , why does this seem like the hardest of all to sharpen? All others fine, my old Washita is more of a honing stone, tried my Camillus survival knife one as well, slow going. If I remember correctly, it was never terribly sharp???

alldodge

Staff member
Have sharpened many knives but I'm no expert by any means. In most cases keeping the angle with each pass is where most have issue, including my self. A jig is what helps me.

ezbtr

Commander
Have sharpened many knives but I'm no expert by any means. In most cases keeping the angle with each pass is where most have issue, including my self. A jig is what helps me.
But all my other knives are fine? I have one I carry every day, smaller of course, keeps a great edge, no issues

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know what to say. I have a pocket knife which is more on the stainless side and I get it sharp, but just doesn't stay that way very long. Main reason because of the stainless

MRS

Commander
If it rust a carbon steel the best I think easy to sharpen and does hold a edge. But most knifes today are stainless harder to sharpen. I have used this for the last at least 40 years works great learn to use and you can sharpen any knife. If yours will not sharpen you need to get the right bevel on it start with the course stone then go to the medium then the fine. Takes time just slide across the stone like you are trying to shave a thin piece of the stone off. Plus make sure you have honing oil for your stone. I do not like all the fancy diamond or ceramic easy sharpeners they sell now learn the stones with honing oil and you can sharpen any knife you have. I have cheap bait knifes and they will cut thru frozen bait no problem.

Attachments

• Stone.jpg
    Stone.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 6

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
This is what I do. I copied it off the net because it is stated better and clearer than I could -
Paint the edge of your knife and bevel with a Sharpie and sharpen the knife at an angle that results in the removal of that Sharpie. In many cases it will be close to the 20 deg angle anyway. When you have achieved success, repeat the process and do that ten times. Now flip the blade over and do it on the other side, you don’t need to use much pressure here, just a little. You want to get to the point where you can place the knife at the SRA “Sharpie Removal Angle” the first time, every time.

The sharpie or black marker method really works

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
A friend gave me his Worksharp to try out a few months ago and I liked it so much I ended up buying 1 of my own. I've only used it on kitchen knives so far but I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well on your Kabar.

ezbtr

Commander
Had it for YEARS, trying different whetstones, carbide/ceramic(works on all others) , why does this seem like the hardest of all to sharpen? All others fine, my old Washita is more of a honing stone, tried my Camillus survival knife one as well, slow going. If I remember correctly, it was never terribly sharp???
Meant my Air Force survival/Camillus sharpens fine w/ included stone

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I use coarse/medium/fine stones in that order depending on how dull the blade is. Freehand. I only use water on the stones, when done let them dry and put away. I prefer water as its readily available and when out hunting I keep at least the fine stone in my backpack for touch ups if needed. There is water in the woods.

ezbtr

Commander
Just did - the Uni kit ($44), cost ZERO thru Amazon :)
Returned!!!! hard to hold and clumsy to use, knives fall out of clamp even with duct tape on sides, wont sharpen a Kabar or Camillus knife well, hone rods always loosen , very disappointed :(

CuddyLicious

Cadet
Sounds like you're not getting to the edge and raising a burr. You can sharpen until the cows come home but if you don't raise a burr on EACH side you're spinning your wheels. Send it to me, I'll sharpen it for you no charge.
I have the Wicked Edge Diamond Precision Guided Sharpener with diamond grits from 100 to 1600.