Best places to tap for fuel pump?

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have all but completed an engine swap into my boat. The engine is newer and does not have provisions for mech. fuel pump. All other marine related parts/harness are transferred from the old motor (1986 merc 305). I have purchased a nice carter marine electric fuel pump, and also a oil pressure switch with 3 pins...

P (to pump)
S (from starter solenoid to give pump power during cranking)
I (ignition...hot in run)

My question is, what are the most convenient wires to tap for the solenoid and ignition? This is a Thunderbolt IV system.

I believe the solenoid wire is yellow w/red stripe...is that the one I want?

And also, what's the best one to tap for ignition? Positive on the coil?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Best places to tap for fuel pump?

I have all but completed an engine swap into my boat. The engine is newer and does not have provisions for mech. fuel pump. All other marine related parts/harness are transferred from the old motor (1986 merc 305). I have purchased a nice carter marine electric fuel pump, and also a oil pressure switch with 3 pins...

P (to pump)

My question is, what are the most convenient wires to tap for the solenoid and ignition? This is a Thunderbolt IV system.

You should use the purple/yellow stripe going to your S connection (that is unless you do not have this wire the yes use .Yel/red stripe) The solid purple wire will go to the I connection. This is assuming, P is Common, P is normally open, and I is normally closed on your oil pressure switch.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Best places to tap for fuel pump?

P (to pump)

Ayuh,... Generally speakin', for Power, while crankin' on the starter, the starter's solenoid, is tapped on the Outboard tiny terminal,...
It's a more direct link to battery voltage than the red/ yellow terminal,...

For the Run on the Ignition, All the purple wires on the motor are the Ignition circuit, 'n the electric choke is a common tap point,...