Best place or website to sell boat??

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The title says it all. I have been having a hard time getting cash for my boat. Everyone wants to trade,lol! If this is in the wrong place I apologize in advance. None of the categories seem to fit my question unless I overlooked one. The boat for sale is an imperial ski boat. 85hp mercury runs great! Does 40mph on the gps! Absolutely nothing wrong with her and she is beautiful! New paint,transom,floor,etc,etc,etc....EDIT The problem is that I truly believe that its worth at least double what I am asking if it could be brought to the right market but I cant seem to sell it even at a give away price?!? Any help is appreciated!!

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 0
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Best place or website to sell boat??

Is it possible your expectations are too high? You didn't mention what year that boat is, but that appears to be a mid 70's Merc engine, so I'd bet the boat is of the same vintage. About all you can do is try to find out what similar boats are selling for in your area (not the list price, but the actual sold price). Where I'm at I'd guess it could sell for about $1800 plus or minus IF everything is solid with no soft spots on the deck etc.

pckeen

Commander
Re: Best place or website to sell boat??

Hi,

Nice boat - good luck selling this. The boat is unique, but looks mid-seventies to me as well. Craigslist is usually a good bet - but it depends on where people locally buy and sell most of their stuff. If it isn't selling, the problem may be the price you are asking. The difficulty with boats this old is that they simply are not worth all that much, even when in really great condition. By way of example, I just bought a '68 Starcraft Holiday in mint condition, with a running 115hp motor - and paid $1000 for it after 2 years of looking.

If you are trying to price your boat, I would try a couple of things. First, try asking a couple of local marinas what they would trade it in at, or what they think it is worth. If you have a marina that is familiar with the boat, they may be able to take a good guess for you. Second, try checking out E-Bay, do a search for "boats" and on the left hand side of the screen click below "show only" on "sold listings."

I've seen motors like yours selling or $500-$1000 (running). I haven't seen a boat like yours sell, but from the vintage, and assuming it is in decent shape. I would have guessed $500-$2000. The trailer I would have guessed at $500. So bottom end, I would have guessed $1500, and top end $3500.

Of course - these are purely guesses, based on the photos you have put up....and I could be way off. What were you asking for it?