Best oil extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango13

Seaman
Hey everyone. Spring is around the corner and its time to start thinking about a little boat maintenance.. I bought my first boat a year ago, and I am in need of an oil extractor for the motor. Its a 78' merc/chev 350. Dipstick is on the starboard and has threads for an extractor.

So whats the best extractor pump out there? Honestly I wish i could just pull the plug on the oil pan but unfortunately that is not an option due to lack of access.

P.S. I am located in Canada, incase some products are only available from American dealers..

mr 88

Commander
They sell them on this site under boat parts and accessories , just punch in Par Oil Drain Pump in the search icon,58.00 and threaded for your application.

mr 88

Commander
The quickest way is installing a fitting to your oil drain pan with a hose long enough and small enough in diameter to go out your water drain plug in the stern. The hose should have a plug of some sort at the bitter end. If you shut it off at the oil pan whatever is left in the hose usually finds it way into the bilge and makes a mess. If your only changing it once a year then the pump works fine especially when the engine is warmed up.

Alumarine

Captain
Princess Auto has a "Manual Fluid Extractor" that you put over the dipstick tube.
They go on sale occasionally.

wrench 3

Commander
The kit for attaching a drain hose that goes out the bilge drain comes with a fish wire and connector so that you can feed it in through the hole in the transom and pull the hose out to drain. On most boats it's almost impossible to push a hose out from the inside.
Or you could use what I do. A small block Chevy oil pump hooked up to a length of plastic garden hose and chucked onto a 3/8 drill. The fitting on the dipstick tube is the same as a standard garden hose and it empties an oil pan faster than anything else I've run into.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I bought a Moeller hand pump extractor (5 liter, I think) and it has been a piece of junk. It worked well a couple of time and since then, it's been nothing but a headache. It's in the trash now, and I'm going to buy a Jabsco extractor.

Hoosmatroos

Petty Officer 1st Class
Buy a decent extractor like on the picture. Feed the smallest tube trough the dipstick and suck out the oil. Works best if u first warm up the engine.

fgp000099.jpg

tango13

Seaman
I bought a Moeller hand pump extractor (5 liter, I think) and it has been a piece of junk. It worked well a couple of time and since then, it's been nothing but a headache. It's in the trash now, and I'm going to buy a Jabsco extractor.

Good to know, as I have considered the hand pump.. The Jabsco unit looks like the way to go. Thanks

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Also the Topsider is a good one. Well made and lasts. Have mine over 10 years.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
Hey everyone. Spring is around the corner and its time to start thinking about a little boat maintenance..

The time to think about oil changes is in the fall, not the spring. (although if you have bad/old oil, anytime is better than no time!)

Years ago I bought one of the yellow 1.5 gal tanks with a hand vacuum pump. Used that for a few years but you had to pump the vacuum a million times to get all the oil out. Also, if the oil was hot and you had pumped a good vacuum, the tank would soften and begin collapsing before you got all the oil out.

Then I bought a little 12V DC pump that clips onto the battery posts that would pump it out with a little hose that went down the dipstick tube. Been using that for over 15 years and still works great.

reedcooper

Recruit
38045138_1.jpg
So, as a follow-up, I bought a Mityvac 7400. It is a manual pump version with a 7qt capacity. I used it for the first time yesterday to change the oil on my new jetski that needs its first oil change at 10 hours. It was really easy to use, and the only thing I would change about it is that it would be nice if one could reverse it to use as a fluid dispenser if only to get the old fluid out of it without having to pour it. I know some of the other Mityvac models, as well as other brands, offer this and I didn't think I would need it. I guess I don't need it, but it would be useful.

The only other thing is that I ended up buying one with a translucent plastic tank so I could see how much oil I extracted to provide a guide on how much new oil to add. I can in fact see the oil level but the tank body is not really calibrated or marked in any logical fashion to be able to get a good indication of how much fluid is in it.

There are some random and vaguely indicated levels but it would just be a guess to try to figure out what level the numbers correspond to. I doubt I will ever use it on any of my cars since changing the oil is about the only time I crawl under them and I like taking a look for anything amiss while under there and 3 of the 4 cars I'd still have to crawl under to get to the oil filter anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.