Best home generator?

ezbtr

Commander
For fridge/freezer, portable heater and power strip for cell phones , dual fuel? With wheels - Just the basics for me , Thanks guys!

alldodge

Staff member
Have had a 5KW Genrac for over 25 yrs, only issue is vent cap plugged up. Once I figured that out no issues ever

Run extension cords to where I need them.

Pull start, on wheels and move like a 2 wheel dolly

matt167

Captain
You really can’t do better than the biggest portable generator from Harbor Freight. If you are wanting wheeled. ( portable) It would only be gas powered but you can convert it. Generac, champion, and most of the others except Honda ($$$$) are basically the same machines as the HF predators… one thing I can recommend is a separate breaker with a Generator plug in and make sure there is a lock out tab in the breaker box so that it’s code compliant.. save about $300 vs a transfer switch. The lockout tab that is code compliant might cost $100 but a transfer switch is $300

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
If I were to do it again or need to replace..
I would get propane, not gasoline. Too much trouble keeping it running with todays fuel issues. They dont get used enough IMO

Bondo

Staff member
If I were to do it again or need to replace..
I would get propane, not gasoline. Too much trouble keeping it running with todays fuel issues. They dont get used enough IMO
Ayuh,..... If I get desperate, I've got a Lincoln Ranger welder I can drag over from the shop,..... Got a plug all wired into a circuit for feeding the house, if necessary,....

Reason I'm postin', is to completely agree with you on fuel,.....
If I was gonna have a dedicated gen set for the house, it would be propane,....
Or diesel,.....

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ayuh,..... If I get desperate, I've got a Lincoln Ranger welder I can drag over from the shop,..... Got a plug all wired into a circuit for feeding the house, if necessary,....

Reason I'm postin', is to completely agree with you on fuel,.....
If I was gonna have a dedicated gen set for the house, it would be propane,....
Or diesel,.....
Only because they're completely ignored until you need them. Out of sight out of mind

kenny nunez

Captain
Here in S Louisiana whole home generators are pretty common. When the power is out for maybe a week or more they are worth it. I went all in with a Cummins/Onan 25k. Within 300’ of my house there are 6 whole house generators. The problem at some houses there were some exhaust gas incidents. And then there are idiots who try to run their portable inside of their house.
The best style are the water cooled versions.

alex666nder

Cadet
Hey, check these two options! Champion Portable Generator. It offers versatility and longer runtimes due to its dual fuel capability. Another excellent option is the Westinghouse, which has a useful wheel kit, a dual fuel capability, Not sure about the capacity range. I think it's 7000-watts. Not sure.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The former Cummins Power Gen in me says Diesel 20kw to run the house

The practical guy in me says the truck has a 145 amp alternator and the RV has 2 batteries and an inverter. Mainly because the power hasn't gone out the last 4 hurricanes because the lines in the neighborhood are underground