best/good fish/ski boat combo

chrish45

Cadet
I am sure this topic as been posted before but I was having a hard time finding anything.

What I am looking for is a good fish ski boat, older model. Going to have to buy it used. Since I am new to owning a boat, I have been trying to figure things out. But am getting a lot of different answers.

I found a brand called the Cajun, but someone said they are not the best built.
I also found one called a Quantum that is nice looking, but I think it has a Force motor on it, and my brother says he has heard bad things about them.

I also found a 1993 Ebbtide 181 SS which looks really nice.
So, I guess the big question is...what brand is a good fish ski combo and what brand should I just not even look at.

Any suggestions?

chrish45

Cadet
Re: best/good fish/ski boat combo

wanted to add...I want to stay in the 1990's and above. I am also talking freshwater fishing and skiing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Brands are fairly unimportant in regards to used boats. It's all about how they were maintained. I'd much rather have a well cared for low-end boat than a neglected high end one. That being said....you may want to avoid Force outboards and OMC I/O's due to them not being made anymore and not being fully supported with parts. Mercruiser also had an engine called the 470 that was troublesome (also called a 3.7L or 170HP).

That being said, Ebbtides are known quality boats and are sought after. But a neglected Ebbtide could still be rotted through and through.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

look for a nice fiberglass bow rider with an outboard on it, there are tons of them out there.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Since you are going to be using the boat on freshwater, you can get away with less boat, than a bay/ocean fish/ski boat.

Bass boats are made for fishing, and they share hulls with some good ski boats. However, they tend to be small for more than three folks at a time. I would recommend an outboard, since you will almost always get a smaller wake with an OB than with an I/O. I would see if there is a bassboat/ski boat available. if that is too small, look for a 18' bowrider with OB power and see if you can dream up some ideas to overcome it's weakness for fishing or skiing. A boat of that size can usually be set up to do both, reasonably well.

Check out Procraft fish-n-skis. They make nice boats and every once in a while you can find one on craigslist. If at all possible take along a buddy who's knowledgable about boats to help you check it over.

chrish45

Cadet

thanks for the info...I really appreciate it.
I have noticed several of the fish/ski boats are a bit small looking even for 17'.
A guy sent me pics of his 93 Cajun..and it just looks overall small most it will take it looks like is 4 which is fine. But, at 6'5 not sure I will be doing the driving...lol

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Before I bought my boat, I looked at a Ranger F/S and two Javelin F/S's - both of them mid-late 90's models. Both were very nice and had all of the options that I wanted. If I had to choose between the two, then I would have picked the Ranger simply because it was a little heavier.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

In addition to EZ's comment about maintenance, take a critical look at your intended use and interior design. You can ski from a fish boat but not always the opposite. So avoid boats with a closed-in feeling in the interior--those with lots of upolstery, padding, wrap around--ones I call "sofa boats". You want clean clear open deck space. You cna always have removable cushions and even deck chairs. You also want fiberglass or at least vinyl floors you can hose off, not carpet.
Outboard is preferable for a number of reasons. For one thing, on a small boat, it's outside the hull!
I grew up with 16' aluminum Starcraft bow riders, w/ 55 OMC. The fold-down seats eventually turned to junk so if you get a boat with them and they are getting soft, replace with single seats. We had removable bow cushions that stayed inside (we moored outside, no cover). with vinyl on the seats and floor. Skiied all day long, pulled a home-made truck tire tube, caught 20" bluefish in the bay, hosed it off and ready to go.
Repalced with a 17' Key West dual console--close to a bow rider design. All cushions are removable. All fiberglass. Great for 2 adults and 4 children, 4 adults/teens skiing, 2-3 people fishing. very low and flat so would be good on small fresh water. Meanwhile my friends with sofa boats can't do much but ride around and look at us catching fish.
I now recommend center consoles over the bowrider but my point is, to buy a multi-purpose boat, examine the purposes first.

mrcool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was looking around trying to pick something up for about 7k. Think I am not interested in the Cajun's anymore, something about the ones I have seen I just don't like anymore.

What do you think of a boat like this?
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1284459155.html

I'd stay away from this one, It's WAY over priced!! and the Force OB is not a good motor:eek:

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I'd go outboard powered. I/O's take up too much room inside the boat for working fish effectively. I would also stay away from pure bass boats. They usually haave limited seating to accomodate the large flat casting decks which would make them bad for pleasure boating. Since you are wanting to do some pleasure boating, I would look for something with a walk through windshield. Bowriders fit the bill, except unless purpose built for fishing and skiing, they probably won't have a livewell. I would probably lean toward an aluminum boat, but there are some nice glass boats that would have all these features. Just my 2 cents.

chrish45

Cadet

looks like I have narrowed it down to either that Cajun or VIP...I am leaning towards the VIP, since it has an Evinrude motor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My choice would definitely be the Cajun. The 115 Johnson is a great motor.

That Astro looks like a very nice boat. Unfortunately it is way overpriced especially since it's sportin' a Force. The VIP looks a bit dicey to me. Yeah he replaced the floor and all that but did he do it properly?

chrish45

Cadet

Just got an email on the VIP....doesn't have a trolling motor, and I don't believe it has pedestal chairs to fish from. So, it is out, looks like the cajun. Now I just will have to convince the owner to test drive it with me.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, for having $7k to spend I'D tend to take a bit more time looking. There are a ton out there for $7k these days.

never saw any discussion of how many planned to be aboard, kids? Teens? Wives? .....Skiing? Tubing? Wakeboarding? All can be very different.

The Cajun looks fine, IF it really meets your needs. If you are on a lake with much traffic or natural chop, don't expect your wife to like it (if married). It will ride rough in chop. pound in real waves. NOT a BAD thing, it's made for fishing on smaller, quieter bays, etc. It's also fine for a few guys to take out on calmer days wherever - just not a comfy family cruise on a Saturday afternoon in a busy lake/bay.

StoutMann

Cadet

My Key West has an all fiberglass hull, no carpet inside, removable bow cushions, gunwale rod storage (room for 6 rods), 4 rocket launchers, 20 gallon livewell, raw water washdown, bow anchor locker, 3 storage boxes in bow that can be used for fish, bait, food and drinks or gear, 2 more storage compartments, outboard engine, can tow skiers or tubers just fine, and a decent 4 speaker stereo system. In my opinion it is the perfect all purpose boat. There's lots of decent boats out there that will give you exactly what you want, you just have to be patient and find the right one. Key West is a great boat for the money if you can find one in your area.