Best gelcoat?

justfish675

Cadet
Ok i have prepped my entire boat. I thought i could get the gelcoat to come back but it was just to far gone. So now I will respray the whole boat, white for the bottom and clear for the deck. Will be using Duratec Hi-gloss additive on final coat. I like to buy tools so i will be using a external mix gun. After reading for two weeks i can not deciede which Gelcoat to go with. I understand there are different quality gels. Anyone have any suggestions?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best gelcoat?

If you're buying retail you won't really know what it is you're getting and I don't know of any places that sell the high end gel coats. (there must be a couple though). If you're buying wholesale, then you have some options. As the quality goes up, so does the need for attention to detail and they become more difficult to work with, the other thing is if you start adding things like Duratech clear you'll be degrading the gel coat by reducing it's water and weather resistance.

Since you said clear for the deck, I assume it?s a bass boat, is the flake in good shape? If you sand into the flake it can change the look and when you spray new gel coat over it it can look blotchy.

Are you ready for the work involved in re-gel coating?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Which is Why I'd rather use Paint, myself....

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Gelcoat sucks for anything other than repairs. Sands REALLY hard. Use marine paint!

justfish675

Cadet

Since you said clear for the deck, I assume it?s a bass boat, is the flake in good shape? If you sand into the flake it can change the look and when you spray new gel coat over it can look blotchy.

Yes the flake is in good shape. It is a bass boat, 1978 ranger v178 with 115hp merc and trailer all for $250.00. As far as sanding into the flake, I already took it down with 220grit then worked it up to 600 grit in a small area. Then on to the 3m superduty. I just didn't like the end result. The test area was free from any blotches. As far as the work involved lets just say I am a glutten for punishment. I sanded the whole boat with 220 then 320 all by hand. About 26 man hours later I decieded that the gelcoat was to far gone and decieded to respray. I am not coming into this light hearted I have read and researched what is involved. I will say that I will be buying a DA sander. I appreciate your input. I thought I read that you recommended to someone the duratec Hi gloss additive?

magicbronco

Cadet

Justfish

Why are you buying and using a external mix gun?
Just curious.

justfish675

Cadet

I just figured that way I would not have to worry about the gel starting to kick in the gun while spraying. Is my thinking wrong I mean the gun is only like $90.00 more.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you spend $5,000 you can get and external mix gun that will work, the type you're looking are almost useless. On that type there's no way to meter the catalyst accurately, it's just a guess and will change while spraying, if they worked it would be great.

justfish675

Cadet

Ok so what type of gun the g-100 with then paper cup? Hvlp, Airless, Pot? I have a good graco airless but I would hate to have it kick before I got to it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

A 2 qrt Pressure pot works well, I've used a Graco airless before and it worked great, but like you said, it is possible to ruin the equipment.

justfish675

Cadet

Ok well thanks. SO any certain gelcoat you would use and a distributor I am in Missouri.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

aside from the gun and the product.......re-gellcoating is a really tough job.....trust me....i have done it....

read the hull ext thread....(use the index at the front it will show you the page and post number)

one of the first things you have to know is that spraying gellcoat is an art. it is not somthing that you can "just do" most great auto body painters will not attempt to spray gellcoat because of the level of difficulty to do it. i paid big bucks to have my boat shot.

the second thing is the hours of prep....the boat must be perfect, faired and sanded correctly. then after its shot. you have to do it all over again....by sanding the gellcoat.....thats another 100 man hours after the initial 100 hrs.

really......if i didnt enjoy working on boats so much,,,,,id rather lay in the ditch and stick pins in my eyes than go thru the re gellcoating process again.

most just use paint....it works fine, and it doesnt need a 15 year gellcoater to apply.

cheers
oops

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Im going to try mine.First gel with polyflake not going to use metalflake .Then several coats of clear with duratech.Yea you got to sand and buff and polish.But I own my boat I dont have large money to dump in it and I like tinkering.Always count what you spend as trash till you do it and its right.If its about the money. paint it,If its for you gel it.

justfish675

Cadet

Always count what you spend as trash till you do it and its right.If its about the money. paint it,If its for you gel it.

I agree Proshadetree.

Opps, I understand the work involved but, isn't that why it is call a project boat? If I spray it and don't like the way it turned out I can always do something else to it. I would be out what 125 for the gun and $250 in materials. I believe some one said that for a 18 foot bot you need 1 1/2 gallons of gel and duratech high gloss.

What makes this so had to spray? Have you tried to spray it or did you just figure it was to hard and hire someone? Just trying to understand why it is so hard or why people say that. I know it will orange peel I think I know what I am getting into.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

What makes this so had to spray? Have you tried to spray it ?

gellcoat must be kept at a certain thickness throught the application. if its too thick or thin it will crack......

uasually at a 35 thou depth is optimal..

it can be sprayed by someone with little training, but how it will stand up in just a short time remains to be seen. on top of all that, things tend to go wrong from time to time....a bad seal on the pot, dragging the line over the hull....ect.....and with the gell in the pot......you are really on the clock. !

i personally will be spraying some parts in less than a week just to see if i can....but they are parts that will be mostly covered by upholstery, and i will be supervised by someone qualified to spray it.

justfish675

Cadet

I didn't mean any offense opps. My dad just always told me that is you have the tools and can read you can do anything yourself. I have read you whole thread and that is one heck of a undertaking. I am sure that once you spray your benches you will get the hang of spraying the feared Gelcoat.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

none taken bud....none at all.

its just that i wouldnt wish re doing gellcoat on anyone.....but....if you, like wise with me, like doing somthing that is a really tough job.....it can be done......the shoot is now set for thursday morning.