Best diet to lose the gut!!??

ezbtr

Commander
Never in my life did I have weight issues til I medically retired 6 years ago and quit smoking 1.5 packs a day for 28 ish years - whats the best way? I don't eat fatty foods or deserts (super rare) cook at home, bbq most things or bake on elevated rack (ie no grease) - eat veggies and eat plenty of fruit -
I do LOVE bread but cutting way down on that, love with my knee and back, running aint gonna work, pools closed til May here, maybe a tread mill for walking?? Central TX we have plenty of heat.
Looked at SOTA and a few others that seem like shakes and low/no carbs, expensive, pretty sure I can do well on my own after finding out more info
Thanks guys

tpenfield

Staff member
I did the 'Noom' diet for about 18 months . . . It did work, and has provided me with a better understanding on weight control.

Basically, food with a lot of water in them are favored over calorie-rich foods. . . . i.e. fruits & vegetables. I found that the way to loose weight was to be under 1200 calories per day and having a moderate exercise routine (walking, stairs, etc.)

The gut seems to be the last thing to go . . .

southkogs

Staff member
I've been able to lose weight consistently, but slowly, even in my 50s. I went to something similar to the Adkins diet, except I kept some grains in it. I've tried to steer away from processed foods as much as possible, watch sugars and carbs (keeping them lower) and lean toward proteins (and I typically eat beef, pork, fish or game - not a lot of poultry) with some green vegetables. Most days I eat between 1600 and 1800 calories, but every week or two I'll have a bigger day than that. And like Ted mentioned, exercise. I've tried to keep some cardio activity in, but I'm even still trying to do muscle building (or "preserving" anymore ๐Ÿคฃ ) weight lifting.

When I go out, or I'm traveling, I ease up on the diet pick something I don't normally eat and enjoy it. But try not to go nuts.

Weight has been a lifelong battle for me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
At 62 I got tired of clothes not fitting and hauling around an extra 40-50 pounds everywhere I went

What works for me is to cut out carbs and sweets all together. No bread, potatoes, no beer, etc. Nothing with more than a few carbs per serving. Lived on green vegetables, protein, (sparkling) water and bourbon.

Eggs and bacon for breakfast
Raw vegetables and cheese for lunch
Meat and vegetables for dinner
Keep a bag of mixed raw vegetables in the house for snacks.

No calorie counting. At all I wanted. No exercise per say but my daily activity level is a lot higher than most for my age. Lost 40 pounds and almost 2 points off my A1C

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That's what works, highly processed carbs & sugars are the enemy, carbs when digested turns to sugar, which is stored as fat. Lean proteins, lots of vegetables, "good carbs" drink more water, not too much beer lol, etc. Doing this I've been able to get down to what I weighed when I was in high school 50 years ago. If I can do it, most anybody can!
Also, learn your internal signals for hunger. We often eat on schedule because we are creatures of habit, but if you really pay attention and only eat when you are hungry, you will lose weight.
Our built in system to prevent starvation, pre-disposes us to eat too much when we are eating and to eat when we are not really hungry.
Blame it on evolution, we haven't really evolved in this regard, since we started living in relatively protected societies hundreds of years ago. So this trait (eat as much as you can when food's around because you don't know when it will be around next time) hasn't dropped of the gene pool!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
cut out beer and drinking
cut out cream and sugar for the coffee
depending on the days activity, eggs and meat for breakfast, or fresh fruit
veggies for lunch
protein and veggies for supper (no more than 6 oz of meat)
significantly increase the exercise.

one thing that helps, is a smaller sized plate will sub-consciously make you think you are eating more

aspeck

Staff member
I had one person tell me I could get rid of 20 pounds of ugly fat if I cut my head off ... haven't resorted to that and don't think I will ...

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I had one person tell me I could get rid of 20 pounds of ugly fat if I cut my head off ... haven't resorted to that and don't think I will ...
Yeah, and you can only do it once! :ROFLMAO:

tpenfield

Staff member
Today on FB a 'memory' from 12 years ago came up showing me about 25 lbs. lighter . . . Only if . . . :rolleyes:

Chief Petty Officer
I've been bodybuilding consistently for over 20 years and continue to this day. When I did Muay Thai and had to cut weight for fights what worked was basically keto and thermogenics. Once you learn how to diet and suppliment properly it becomes an easy lifestyle to maintain. Most of it is common sense.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I did the 'Noom' diet for about 18 months . . . It did work, and has provided me with a better understanding on weight control.

Basically, food with a lot of water in them are favored over calorie-rich foods. . . . i.e. fruits & vegetables. I found that the way to loose weight was to be under 1200 calories per day and having a moderate exercise routine (walking, stairs, etc.)

The gut seems to be the last thing to go . . .
Under 1200 calories/day? Wouldn't that be kinda dangerous? I've never counted. I may be shocked if I did ..

tpenfield

Staff member
Under 1200 calories/day? Wouldn't that be kinda dangerous? I've never counted. I may be shocked if I did ..
Not sure, as health professionals recommend at least 1500 calories. Sort of depends on how much and how fast you want to loose weight. IIRC, 3600 calories = 1 pound of weight (fat). So, it is a matter of creating a daily deficit of what you burn vs. your intake.

My experience is that if I could stay around 1200 calories and do moderate exercise, my old clothes started fitting again. It took a few months though . . . :LOL: YMMV

There is also the Keto diet, which is no carb/ low carb. Also something you should do just to loose the weight, not a sustaining diet.

southkogs

Staff member
I think you might shocked at calorie counting: I was surprised at what eating a quick lunch through the drive through on a busy day actually added to one's diet. I grabbed a burger fries and a soda from the drive through, and finally paying attention realized it was roughly a 1,000 calorie meal by itself.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I think you might shocked at calorie counting: I was surprised at what eating a quick lunch through the drive through on a busy day actually added to one's diet. I grabbed a burger fries and a soda from the drive through, and finally paying attention realized it was roughly a 1,000 calorie meal by itself.
some bacon heavy double burgers from fast food places are 1000 calories by themselves.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Not sure, as health professionals recommend at least 1500 calories. Sort of depends on how much and how fast you want to loose weight. IIRC, 3600 calories = 1 pound of weight (fat). So, it is a matter of creating a daily deficit of what you burn vs. your intake.

My experience is that if I could stay around 1200 calories and do moderate exercise, my old clothes started fitting again. It took a few months though . . . :LOL: YMMV

There is also the Keto diet, which is no carb/ low carb. Also something you should do just to loose the weight, not a sustaining diet.
Mayo Clinic article stated you need 1200 calories to remain healthy.

local doc (per co-worker) says rough number is take your weight and multiply by 10 to get the calories you need to aprox maintain your weight. eat less calories, loose weight.....eat more calories, gain weight. something about "rule of 10"

but..... good beers and a bacon burger are so tasty....

Chief Petty Officer
This is what I used to cut weight and what has worked for me in the past . The portions are meant for a 250LB male but you can adjust it according to your weight. You'll notice there's no counting calories , and feeling hungry was never an issue :

Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
This is what I used to cut weight and what has worked for me in the past . The portions are meant for a 250LB male but you can adjust it according to your weight. You'll notice there's no counting calories , and feeling hungry was never an issue :

Meal 1 6 whole Omega-3 eggs
Meal 2 8oz chicken with 1/2 cup raw almonds
Meal 3 50g whey with 2 tablespoons all natural peanutbutter
Meal 4 8oz salmon with 1 cup asparagus with 1 tablespoon macadamia nut oil
Meal 5 50 g whey with 2 tablespoon PB
Meal 6 6 whole eggs
A dozen eggs a day! To do that today you would have to be RICH!

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't take dieting advice from fat people...
Lol. Or financial from broke people (Dave Ramsey).
I've been exercising for 10+ years (moderate weightlifting, + some very light treadmill work for a year or so). Never was able to lose weight though - exercising makes me hungry.
Was at the doc in December, and my blood work was good (no meds) so I was happy about that, and attribute it partly to the exercise (which I enjoy), but probably has a lot to do with just genetics I'd imagine (I'm over 50).
I'm 235-240, and it's been many years since I was under 220. Ideal is probably 180-190.
I fasted for 24hrs straight a few months ago, just because I felt like cr@p. Hadn't done that in a long time either.
Stopping the meal while I'm still a little hungry, with some IMF and a smaller eating window'd prob help me a bunch. And less bread (but I love it so...).