Best cover for prop shaft?

Expidia

Commander
I took my prop off my 40 hp outboard when I stored the boat covered next to my garage and coated the shaft with some grease. The prop is in my basement awaiting a paint touch up.

I greased it up but as I was walking by it after the snow melted last weekend and I thought I saw rust on the prop shaft. it's probably grease but is this a bad way to store it?

Last year the prop was on the shaft over the winter.

Should I just put the prop back on so as to protect the shaft from rusting or does someone have some tips on how to store the outboard over the winter without the prop on it?

It's in the upright position, but I figured if I put the lower unit in a plastic bag it might be worse as it will hold moisture inside the bag.

P.S. I didn't put this post in the prop thread because it's more of a winterizing question and not about prop performance!

Thx

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Best cover for prop shaft?

the motor should be stored in the running position. not tilted up. what i have done is take a piece of PVC put a cap on it. grease in it. and slide it over the shaft.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I used to wrap the propshaft in plastic until I learned most shafts are stainless steel. Now I remove the prop, grease it up, and reinstall when storing the boat. That way, its ready for the spring. So far, no problems.

It's also a good time to clean up any nicks and dings in the prop. Aluminum props are easy and can be gently hammered back into shape and have burrs and such sanded off.

Expidia

Commander

Thx for the replies. I thought the shaft might be stainless but it looked like steel to me so I figured I'd better ask.

The tube with grease in it sounds like an easy solution.

I have both my props on my work bench to get touched up yet again. I have the mercury spray primer and their black spray paint too but before I retouch them this time I'm going to pick up some etching primer. I saw some at West but their price was out of sight.

The company that fixed each prop uses just black rustoleum which tends to flake off in spots over time,

I was going to try the etching primer route as others have suggested in another thread as I get tired of having to touch some spots up even though I didn't hit anything.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

TD's idea sounds better than mine, good smear of grease and then wrap with a stuffmart plastic bag or two.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A good coat of grease and a couple of wraps of Saran Wrap work very well.