Best Cleaner,Wax???

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best Cleaner,Wax???

You'll get lots of opinions... my favorite is Meguiars Cleaner/Wax #50.
Works fine, leaves nice shine. A good feature is that it doesn't leave white streaks on rubber or vinyl trim.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

The answer depends on what you're trying to do. If you don't have oxidation, 3M Finesse is a fantastic polish (when applied with a real polisher).

bralex

Seaman Apprentice

bjcsc- has is right. Depends on what type of finish you're working on and it's condition. With many years of detailing, my favorite four product names are

1. Ardex - ardexlabs.com
2. Presta - only available from autobody stores or maybe ebay
3. Mcquires
4. 3M

Most of all these products work best with a buffer. Quality polishes tend to give as good if not better protection as do waxes, since most waxes degrade quickly with UV exposure. There again, it depends on what you're working with.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I heard this stuff is great, but is it a 1 product cleaner wax, or 2 part cleaner then wax, besides, nowhere to buy it, to try it here in Pa?

Collinite is all I use. It's the only stuff I've found that will hold up for a full season. Use the 920 cleaner first. It makes the wax application a lot easier and it really adds depth to the shine. I prefer the 885 paste wax but the liquid 920 works just as well I?ve been told.

One word of advice, this wax is designed to be removed before it dries. If you let it dry it?s a bear to get off.

You can get Colliniate at any Boat US or West Marine store and on-line at either as well.

BTW: If you?re a fisherman the paste wax make a great rod polish.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea, you're correct about getting it off before it dries. But, it's definetely a good product. I think any wax will do a good job, but lately I've been using Zymol with good results. I also use it on my truck. I'm going to wax my boat again this week, after I go over it with vaseline to remove the rest of the oxidation. No wet sanding for me!

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, you're correct about getting it off before it dries. But, it's definetely a good product. I think any wax will do a good job, but lately I've been using Zymol with good results. I also use it on my truck. I'm going to wax my boat again this week, after I go over it with vaseline to remove the rest of the oxidation. No wet sanding for me!

Does the Vaseline actually work? does it really remove oxidation or just put a shine over it? how do you apply wax over the Vaseline which is oily?

point92

Cadet

I just put a coat of McGuires Flagship on my new boat and I was amazed how well it looked afterward. I had 3 people recommend it last time I went out.

MikDee

Banned

After the color restore with vaseline, I usually use Meguiars, or Starbrite, cleaner wax, (depending on which works better on the particular job?) you can usually find a generic version of these, and save some money. If I need a bit heavier cleaner I use GelGloss universal fiberglass cleaner from Home Depot, but the finish doesn't last as long as the first two.