Best caulking for bottom of aluminum boat before painting

gliderflyer

Cadet
I'm working on getting my 16' Starcraft ready for paint. Currently, where the aluminum sheets lap there is a nice fillet of caulking under the paint that I'm removing. Also, along the keel plate there are some decent sized gaps along the seams, maybe 1/8" wide or so max. that need to get filled before I paint the bottom. I'm looking for a recommendation for a paintable caulk to use here. It needs to be flexible enough to not crack as the boat flexes and stiff enough to hold the paint without the paint cracking. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Randy

gliderflyer

Cadet
Thanks. I'm planning on using Gluvit on the inside over all the seams and rivets but haven't bought it yet or used it before. Is it thick enough to be workable and make nice fillets along exterior seams? I'm mostly counting on whatever product I use for aesthetics under the paint and to keep salt out of the gaps.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Thanks. I'm planning on using Gluvit on the inside over all the seams and rivets but haven't bought it yet or used it before. Is it thick enough to be workable and make nice fillets along exterior seams? I'm mostly counting on whatever product I use for aesthetics under the paint and to keep salt out of the gaps.

Nope, Gluvit is about as runny as water.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some pictures would help us help you.

Don't worry about the keel. It isn't sealed and should have a drain hole in one end.

Gluvit is almost as thin as water and won't make a fillet. The runnyness is what makes it a good sealer inside the hull.

gliderflyer

Cadet
I'll try and get some pics up tonight or tomorrow to help. I should've started there.

Thanks!
Randy