Best book for fiberglass boat restoration ?

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class
What books have you guys found to be most helpful<br />to a newbie.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Mike

thejeepster02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Best book for fiberglass boat restoration ?

I bought, Runabout Renovation: How to Find and Fix up an Old Fiberglass Speedboat. find it at Barns and noble on line.<br /><br />It helped me big time, along with the Iboats forums folks

outonbizniz2

Seaman

I have to second Runabout Renovation by Jim Anderson. Here's a pic of the book. Pic

Ralph 123

Captain

I like videos - I like to see it done. "Fiberglass repair with Bruce M" is really good as well as others. Check out all the ones available from:<br /><br /> http://www.bennettmarine.com/store/index.php <br /><br />Amazon, half.com, etc. Lot's of places to find them

cowboyup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

from a newbie to a newbie.<br /><br />I've just purchased 3 booklets from West Systems (actually from a distributor)for $3 apiece. They're roughly 45 pages each, but its easy reading with plenty of pictures. Not only that, but their technical people are exceptionally friendly (as i have called them many times with trivial questions) and full of information. Not meant to be a plug for West Systems, but I commend anyone with above average customer service.

Realgun

Commander

Well the Epoxybook is free dowload from System3. :) But you will need to register.<br />It is a real good book. Comes free with any order of System3.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

West Systems Epoxy had a very nice little hand book as well. Its not all inclusive at all but if you haven't got any or much experience with epoxy its a good short read. They used to give it away and so I suppose it may be on line as well. <br /><br />Thom

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I am pretty fond of the Runabout Renovation book. It does a decent job of getting a person through an old boat rebuild, and it does not assume the reader knows it all like some books I have thumbed through.

Indymike

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks guys...time to read<br /><br />Mike

Jerbo34

Recruit

My friend bought a trailer for his boat and the trailer came with a boat. He in turn gave the boat (a 1995 chaparral 1830 ss) to me. The boat RAN great. The first time I took her out I had the wind in my hair and a smile on my face. AHH, my first boat and she's a good one especially for free. I take her home and clean her up and the next weekend take her out and the oil pump goes caput. I now have a boat full of gas and doesnt run. So far only $280 in registration fees and gas. The oil pump no problem! What I don't know is how hard is it to tear out the deck, and reframe the entire boat bow to stern put her back together for my whole family to enjoy. As I said this is my first boat. I do have plenty of wood working experience as I am in the construction business. I also have a real desire to own a boat for fun in the sun. Not to mention anything I spend would be comparable to buying a cheap boat anyway.