Best Bench Wood???

jrstables

Cadet
What is the best bench wood to use to put on top of the benches on an aluminum boat. They are in good shape, it's mainly for eye candy since there currently is none. Also, what is the best method for weather proofing them?? Stain, sealant, paint?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Best Bench Wood???

mahogony, stained and varnished x 5.
Cypress, primed and painted with marine paint.

do not use red oak in a boat.

If you use a plank, be sure it is cupped down.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Teak,

you can let it age naturally, varnish, oil, what ever you like.

jrstables

Cadet

mahogony, stained and varnished x 5.
Cypress, primed and painted with marine paint.

do not use red oak in a boat.

If you use a plank, be sure it is cupped down.

Thanks for the info? May I asked what cupped down is??? Is this a way of attaching it to the aluminum seats?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You look at the end of the board. Typically a board will tend to warp (cup) in the direction of the end-grain. You want the end grain to curve so the cup faces the seat. The end-grain pattern will look like the letter "C" turned 90 degrees to the right (exaggerated of course). What the grain actually looks like depends on how the board was cut out of the log. Regardless, if the board is not perfectly flat, install it so the curved (concave) side is down.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Stained and varnished mahogany is the classy way to go. Its also the least durable and needs the most maintenance.

If its just a simple fishing boat, use marine grade plywood, cover it in vinyl and secure it with rust resistant screws.

Attachments

• IMG_2207web.jpg
    IMG_2207web.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P5232995web.jpg
    P5232995web.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

You look at the end of the board. Typically a board will tend to warp (cup) in the direction of the end-grain. You want the end grain to curve so the cup faces the seat. The end-grain pattern will look like the letter "C" turned 90 degrees to the right (exaggerated of course). What the grain actually looks like depends on how the board was cut out of the log. Regardless, if the board is not perfectly flat, install it so the curved (concave) side is down.

Wood cups opposite to the direction of the growth rings. See below:

decking.jpg

That said, if is encapsulated, it won't warp at all.

If you don't wish to encapsulate it, buy quarter sawn or rift sawn boards (the board to the far left in the illustration above is rift sawn, quarter sawn means the growth rings are perpendicular to the face of the board) and it won't cup at all, no matter how it's finished.

I agree with the teak recommendation.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Since it is an aluminum boat, I don't think stained/varnished/hand rubbed mahogany (although beautiful) is the best choice. Your seats would look like they're worth more than the rest of the boat! I would seriously consider staying away from true wood altogether and look into the 5/4 engineered planking that they use for outdoor decking now. It's wood free, so it won't split, rot, warp, cup, etc.

Hank496

Seaman

I agree teak is the best possible choice. However, assuming a 12" wide seat, teak will cost somewhere in the area of $ 200 per bench seat for 4/4 stock.
Mahogany will be much less expensive, but will definitely need a lot of maintenance.
Marine grade plywood is pricey also, in the $ 175 - $ 200 range for a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4".

I have also used Spanish Cedar (yes the same stuff humidor liners are made from) for outdoor furniture projects. I made a set of adirondack chairs, table and chimenea stand four years ago and only coated with linseed oil. They stay outside year round and look just fine. Currently they are buried in snow (and have been since before Christmas.) Spanish cedar is only slightly less expensive than mahogany but may be less maintenance.

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

I used Ipe (pronounced eepay, sometimes called Brazilian Walnut) to replace the benches in my Whaler-clone.

It's heavy, hard as a rock, weathers and ages well.

I bought it on ebay from some guy in Philadelphia.

robert graham

Admiral

Maybe Teak, then just oil it, looks great!...If you can find it and afford it! I'd probably use white oak and multiple coats of thinned polyurethane. Lots of ways to skin that cat!