Best Anchor light setup?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
18 foot pontoon boat with an electric Bimini top. What light do you use for an anchor light? Where did you mount yours? Illinois boating law says that it has to be 33 inches above the navigating lights and they are about deck high. Appreciate the help I have a ton of things to do before I get it in the water.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
International law and USCG col regs trump anything from the corrupt state of Illinois. Look up the navigation requirements for lighting and follow them. If you have a bimini, your anchor light must be higher

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
18 foot pontoon boat with an electric Bimini top. What light do you use for an anchor light? Where did you mount yours? Illinois boating law says that it has to be 33 inches above the navigating lights and they are about deck high. Appreciate the help I have a ton of things to do before I get it in the water.
You might find this webpage helpful
unless the state of Illinois has some peculiar regulations which are in conflict with International regulations.
I guess you are opting for port and starb'd side lights ( or a bicolor) and an allround white light in place of separate masthead and stern lights.

1 metre ( corrupted in the US to 33 inches) is the minimum vertical separation required in the International regulations between the side lights and the masthead light .

If you were fitting a light intended only as an anchor light International regulations require it to be in the "fore part" of the vessel or where it can best be seen.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
You might find this webpage helpful
unless the state of Illinois has some peculiar regulations which are in conflict with International regulations.
I guess you are opting for port and starb'd side lights ( or a bicolor) and an allround white light in place of separate masthead and stern lights.

1 metre ( corrupted in the US to 33 inches) is the minimum vertical separation required in the International regulations between the side lights and the masthead light .

If you were fitting a light intended only as an anchor light International regulations require it to be in the "fore part" of the vessel or where it can best be seen.
If it has to be higher than the Bimini top it almost requires that it be installed on the tubing for the top itself. I really didn't want to have to do that kind of wiring.

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
Well since my local New Hampshire po po will be the one handing out tickets I'm following their rules and regulations. I haven't checked yet if they are different from International law and USCG col regs.

Besides the below snippet directly from nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/fob/marine-patrol I found I can also add/use a spotlight.

"NAVIGATION LIGHTS"
"Commercial boats must meet all powerboat lighting requirements. Navigation lights are to be displayed between sunset and sunrise. All boats are to show at the forward part of the boat a red light to port and a green light to starboard. Each colored light must show from dead ahead to two points abaft (towards the stern) of the beam or 112.5 degrees of an arc. In addition to the forward colored running lights, an all around 360 degree white light must be aft and higher than the colored running lights. Boats 26 feet and greater in length may mount the running lights on the sides of the super structure and must display a white masthead light showing in the direction of the red and green lights combined. Colored lights must be visible for one mile on a clear night and white lights must be visible for two miles on a clear night."

My little 16 footer passes fine with my forward 2 in 1 red and green bow light and a 360 degree white light with a 20 inch chrome post (?) on the stern. That light shines through my windshield but still passes the regulation. Yes I called my local Fish & Game, Marine Patrol to make sure I'll be ready to go with all regs and safety.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
In this age of LEDs there is no reason to have a heavy- awkward light mast bouncing around on the boat. If I have to I will make a light weight one that I can fasten to the rear rail or to the bimini top as is required. For that matter I might as well buy a couple of extra LED sockets and bulbs and pieces of pvc. Guys on youtube making these things for $3 I should be able make the deluxe model for $10.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If it has to be higher than the Bimini top it almost requires that it be installed on the tubing for the top itself. I really didn't want to have to do that kind of wiring.
Attwood makes an 8 foot long folding anchor light for pontoons if you are too lazy to run two wires

Scott Danforth

Staff member
In this age of LEDs there is no reason to have a heavy- awkward light mast bouncing around on the boat. If I have to I will make a light weight one that I can fasten to the rear rail or to the bimini top as is required. For that matter I might as well buy a couple of extra LED sockets and bulbs and pieces of pvc. Guys on youtube making these things for $3 I should be able make the deluxe model for $10.
unless they are USCG approved and visible for a minimum of 2NM, dont even bother.

you are being foolish and cheap.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
unless they are USCG approved and visible for a minimum of 2NM, dont even bother.

you are being foolish and cheap.
Thanks for the information about the Atwood 8' light I will look into that. I just went out and got my old anchor light to work but I think I will replace it anyway. I intend to have a spare light on hand for safeties sake. Can't seem to trust light sockets to remain working when they have been around water a lot.

Last edited:

jhande

Chief Petty Officer
I'd be a bit careful using LED's.
I watched a YouTube video were I guy replaced his old deck lights with LED units. He did so because he was tired of cleaning corrosion in the sockets (duh, die-electric grease). He said the LED's didn't even last a year. He blamed it on the fact that boats hit the water harder than cars bouncing on the road. He ended up putting the old fashion lights back on.
:unsure:

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the reminder about die-electric grease I don't know when I quit using the stuff but I will get some more and use it on everything. I just forgot a lot when I didn't use the boat for a few years.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I ordered 50 foot of 16-2 marine cable and the water proof connectors and a telescoping anchor light for the aft rail.
Another fold down type anchor light for on top of the Bimini top.
I figure that I will wire these with quick connects so that I can stow them properly when we are on the road.
I am working on how to cover my bench seats to keep rain water out of them. Should be easy to hook a tarp onto the rail behind them. Maybe a pocket along the bottom that I can stick something heavy into to hold it down in the wind while it is docked or in the driveway.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I mounted the base for the Atwood light to an aluminum plate and with the quick connects I am able to remove it by just unscrewing a collar and lifting it out of the base, I am able to remove the flip down light that goes on the Bimini top with just one screw. The square u-bolts should be here by Monday so that I can fasten these aluminum base plates to the square tubing.
My wife is experiencing a health problem that we hope to have fixed soon or we won't be going anywhere. I think that it is a reaction to an antacid that she has taken for a long time and we are hoping that she gets better soon.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The light that is mounted on the BImini top frame looks cool sticking back at about a 45* angle. That puts it about straight up when the top is in the up position. I turned the lights on at night and found out that the red bow light needs attention.