Berkshire pontoon cavitation issues

Ronvanb

Recruit
We have a 2019 Bershire 24 CL CTS pontoon. It looks great and is very roomy and comfortable. We bought it new spring 2019 and it has a 2020 Mercury 115 CT(command thrust). Great engine by the way.

Out pontoon(2 toons) came with the optional 27 inch toons. We have a lot of cavitation problems when we start increasing the RPMs. Up to 3000 rpm is not too bad, but it is very sensitive to more than 2 light people sitting up front. The engine is long shaft and it is mounted to its lowest position already.

I am not sure where the cavititation plate should be in relation to the pontoons/center engine mount fuel pod(?). When we are running 2500 to 3000 RPM and i look at the motor I can see the cavitation plate at the surface of the water. What I wonder is if the 27 inch pontoons create more lift as speed increases causing the engine to raise more. It struggles to go over 20 mph and that's with only 4 people. I get passed by pontoons with the same motor hp and 24 inch pontoons with way more people( and more people up front than in the back).

I have read about Godfrey pontoons with 27 inch toons doing the same thing. Anybody else on here have 27 inch pontoons and the same problem?

Should I talk to the dealer or the manufacturer?

Thanks,
Ron

Attachments

• photo340605.jpg
    photo340605.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 7

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you either need an XL motor and raise it a bit or you need to lower your motor

if it was me, I would install a hydraulic jack plate

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If you told the dealer what motor to put on the boat, then this may be your problem to solve. If the boat and motor were sold to you as a package recommeded by the dealer, I think the dealer should fix it at minimum cost to you.

ahicks

Captain
That's where I would have installed that motor too. You need to take an educated guess with a pontoon (so many variables!), then go from there. It sounds like this is too high. Stop looking for somebody to blame and make arrangements to lower it. I would go down a couple inches.