Bent Shaft

xenus7850

Cadet
I need some help on this one. I have a mercrusier 454 Bravo 1, with 300HP. I hit bottem a few weeks ago at Lake Berlin in Ohio. Like an idiot, I did not take my SS prop and put my aluminum on on, since the week before I was on Lake Erie.

I bent the SS prop up a but and need to have it repaired. I also think I bent the shaft. At the base of the shaft it is off 0.0015 (thousandths) and at the end of the shaft it is off 0.0052 (thousandths).

The boat seems to run just fine with a new prop, the old SS prop created a shimmy or vibration. Who bad is the shaft with those ratings? Do I need to get it fixed? What will most likely happen if I do not fix it? If I fix it, would you think I should have it rebuilt or just swap out the lower unit for an aftermarket one, in which I can pick one up for about $1,000.

Like I said, I have had the boat out twice since then and it runs fine, I cannot feel any perfromance difference. I have read in here though that if one has a bent shaft and does not fix it, that it can cause severe problems.

chiefalen

Captain
Re: Bent Shaft

Listen i say if it ain't broke don't fix it. It runs good, keep running it. Props are made to absorb the shock. Thats why they go before anything else.

Have the prop fixed or bang it out with a hammer and use it as a spare.

Good luck!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Bent Shaft

Check the shaft as below, over .005 where shown will take out the carrier bearing in time, then the gears.

Bravo1bentshaftcheck.png