Bent Propreller Shaft?

MDKirk

Recruit
I just stumbled upon this site tonight and I'm thankful it's here. It looks awesome.<br /><br />I own a runabout with a Volvo stern drive. I've gone through two aluminum props this summer due to my tendency to run over submerged stumps. Needless to say, my boat has developed a vibration problem. Nothing too severe, but you can tell that it's there when you start applying the throttle. Also, when I spin the prop with my hand, I can tell there is a slight wobble to it. Well, I've got it in the shop but I'm not sure what to expect. Am I in for an expensive repair? Also, what damage, if any would I do to the stern drive if I ran it in this condition? I figure I've only got a few weeks of good boating weather left and I hate for the boat to spend that time in the shop.<br /><br />Thanks for your input.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Bent Propreller Shaft?

It all depends on where the shaft is bent. If it is bent from the seal out, you can probably use your boat, but personnaly, I would only use slow speeds. With the shaft bent outside the housing you may just get away with a new output prop shaft. If the wobble is internal, I would not use it. The internal bend can and will damage the bearing journals, stress cracking the housing. :eek: If you can turn the prop shaft freely without feeling any drag whatso ever, your shaft is more than likely bent from the seal/bearing out. It is still going to cost buck. :( Don't even try to straighten it. You will probably get it farther off center, and or break something on the lower unit. May want to check your universal also. Sometimes hard hits on the shaft can weeken the bearing caps by hammering the needle bearings into them. This causes excessive play in the universals and can cause vibration. Good Luck. :)