Bent prop shaft

I have a 2001 25 HP Merc that I got used, I checked out the lower unit and the shaft at the very end is .50 out of round or in other words bent. It is causing a vibration at speed, should I spend the $850 to get it fixed, trade up, or not sweat it? My mechanic says it will cause undue wear on the lower unit bearings and seals and I don't want the bill later either. Suggestions?
Thanks, Tom

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bent prop shaft

Well, if you disassemble it and take the shaft itself to a well equipped machine shop, they may be able to "roll" it and straighten it for way less.

Or, if you find a used one with bad gears, you would be able to swap shafts.

Or, wait and find a good used lower unit.

Almost any of these options will cost less than $850.

I have straightened smaller diameter shafts by repeatedly pressing them in a 10 ton press between two pivot points. Takes a LOT of analysis, pressure, and time. Must be repeated many times at various points to acheive adequate straightness, but it is do-able.

propmann

Cadet

Check with your local prop shops. They might have the machine to straighten the shaft without having to take it out of the lower unit. We have one of those machines, it works great for the kind of problem you have. Most places charge $200.00 to $300.00 to get the shaft back to oem specs.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I took the shaft out of a 65 hp merc two years ago,and had it straightened by a machinist- cost: $20.00 Had to buy a new prop though,about $130.00-
Then I took it to the marina,and paid to have the prop nut torqued,and the gear oil pumped in-still, total cost was just over $200.

Thanks for all your help, it is at the shop now and you were all right about the price of getting it fixed, it looks like about $200 to $300 total, thanks again, by the way Bass Pro Shops Service is a contracted out fix it shop and they charge as such.

jleus

Petty Officer 3rd Class

$850 is crazy, but probably the going rate in some places. I know a reputable mechanic in central Ar. that will do it for $120.00 labor plus parts..............shafts being in the $140.00-150.00 range.