Bent prop shaft...worth fixing or new lower?

jthor3277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Messages
104
Hey guys. My bud bent his prop shaft this weekend and I was just wondering if it's worth re-doing the prop shaft or just replacing the lower? I have some of the special tools to do it minus the shimming tools. Is this a big job and is it that's worth it? Thanks

Mercruiser 4.3L V6
Alpha one Gen 2 (1.81)
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Bent prop shaft...worth fixing or new lower?

How bent? More than about 0.1" is too much (that's most I have successfully straightened)... And when you straighten it, it's got to be better than 6 thou... Even if you put a new propshaft in, you won't need to reshim...

Chris.......
 

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Bent prop shaft...worth fixing or new lower?

A new (Aftermarket) propshaft is $515 from here at iboats, the SEI aftermarket lower unit with a 3 year warranty is $835
 

jthor3277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Messages
104
Re: Bent prop shaft...worth fixing or new lower?

How bent? More than about 0.1" is too much (that's most I have successfully straightened)... And when you straighten it, it's got to be better than 6 thou... Even if you put a new propshaft in, you won't need to reshim...

Chris.......

Hmm I never even though about straightening it. I'll get the numbers today and see just how badly it's bent. What's your process for straightening it? Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Don. I was just wondering if the schimming process is a bear and labor intensive to replace. But mostly, just want to do it right.
 

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
27,468
Re: Bent prop shaft...worth fixing or new lower?

Hmm I never even though about straightening it. I'll get the numbers today and see just how badly it's bent. What's your process for straightening it? Thanks for the reply.

Vee blocks, a press and a dial gauge.

jthor3277 said:
Thanks Don. I was just wondering if the schimming process is a bear and labor intensive to replace. But mostly, just want to do it right.

As I said, it doesn't need to be reshimmed for a new propshaft.... And even if it did, the shimming process it not difficult, just a bit fiddly... and you need the right tools... which you don't... :facepalm:

(Now I'm confused :D)
Chris....
 

jthor3277

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Messages
104
Re: Bent prop shaft...worth fixing or new lower?

You're right Chris I don't have the merc shimming tool and it's nice to know that you don't have to shim the new prop shaft. But i do have the dial indicator setup and did a runout this morning of the prop shaft. He hit something good with a .750th of an inch deflection. It was a stainless prop on a gen 2. With that big of a deflection, should I be worried about the drive shaft and upper? The boat does vibrate.
 

Bondo

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 17, 2002
Messages
71,535
Re: Bent prop shaft...worth fixing or new lower?

You're right Chris I don't have the merc shimming tool and it's nice to know that you don't have to shim the new prop shaft. But i do have the dial indicator setup and did a runout this morning of the prop shaft. He hit something good with a .750th of an inch deflection. It was a stainless prop on a gen 2. With that big of a deflection, should I be worried about the drive shaft and upper? The boat does vibrate.

Ayuh,.... I hope ya missed a decimal point there, that's 3/4"....

The price of SEI lowers beats rebuildin' what ya got....
 
Top