Bent Prop Shaft removal-Yamaha

SPRITSAIL

Cadet
Hi Guys....I'm working on a 91 Yamaha 3.0 liter I/O stern drive. Can anyone tell me if i HAVE to remove the lower gearcase housing unit and take out the shift rod assembly, before i can remove my prop shaft and straighten it?<br />This must be fairly standard on stern drives, so i'm hoping someone has some knowledge of this.<br />Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bent Prop Shaft removal-Yamaha

Hello<br /> unfortunately yes the drive must be seperated upper from lowere and the shift shaft removed for propshaft removal. it is tedious and time consuming but not impossible. you will need the spanner tool for removing the propshaft bearing carrier nut and the puller for carrier removal. I dont recommend straightening that shaft. it is actually a tow pice sft that is fricton welded at the trust bearing area. that way the "water " side of the shaft can withstand water witout rusting and the "oil" side can provide a hardened surface that bearings can run on. sometimes they will crack when rebent and the prop will fall off and you will be towed back:) :) . <br /> Good luck and keep posting :) :)

SPRITSAIL

Cadet

Thanks so much for your help, Rodbolt.<br /><br />That sure clears things up for me.<br /><br />If i remove the lower gearcase housing and all, during our very cold winters, can i hurt anything?<br /><br />That way i can work on it over the next 4-5 months.<br /><br />I do have a workshop manual, and am fairly competent, so i'm hoping to do it all myself if possible.<br />Once again, thankyou. It's good of you to assist.

Capt Ken

Commander

Whatever you do, don't lose any shims. Being the gears and bearings are shimmed and not the shaft, you will be OK. You can keep the lower gearhousing off to work on it with no problem. I would lower the outdrive to keep the bellows from remaining extended all winter. Be sure not to damage the retaining ring holding the bearing carrier in. There ain't no more except for the last two hanging on my wall.