Bent prop shaft '96 Johnson 115hp

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Hi, I'm in need of opinions on replacing a bent prop shaft on a '96 Johnson 115hp v-4. What typically gets replaced other than the shaft? What kind of parts and labor can I expect this to cost typically? The prop found a rock which resulted in the bent shaft, it is visibly bent when spinning the prop by hand. This is not my motor but could be soon. The damage was done about a week ago so not much running after the impact occurred. Any informed opinions much appreciated, thanks!

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bent prop shaft '96 Johnson 115hp

Id bent it back with a big old peice of steel over the end of the shaft and try and bend it back. Id try it before you spend lots of money on replacen the shaft. Its worth a try. I did it on my Gt 150 after my cousin hit a rock.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Wouldn't I run the risk of ruining seals bearings etc by doing that?

xtraham

Lieutenant

not to mention you might bust the gear case

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Once removed the shaft might be able to be straightened if it's not too bad. We've fixed several shafts rather than replacing them. As long as they aren't too bad.

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can also take the shaft out and get a machine shop to straighten it. I had one straightened recently and they only charged me $15.00 much cheaper than a new one at over $125.00. and as dhadley said it must be removed.

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got lucky i guess... I didnt think of the seals when i did it i thought of getting back in my boat and go.My 150 still goes to this day with the sorta bent shaft

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I'm really surprised to see so many suggestions to straighten it. I was under the impression that the slightest imbalance or runout over time could cause wear on the gears bearings and seals.

Local marina quoted me $250 for the shaft, $40 for seals, $500 labor, provided the damage isn't more extensive. Is this a project a hobby mechanic could handle? Would I need special tools? I have a factory shop manual for an '88 110hp, are the lower units the same?, can I use it for reference?

red boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I had the slightly bent shaft it would "walk" the outer carrier bearing and seals out.

imported_lorin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very often only the shaft and some seals get replaced. The shaft can easily get bent without causing any further internal damage. However, removing the shaft requires disassembling the gearcase and when you do so you might notice that your clutch dog and gear(s) are worn and naturally if they are quite worn you might as well replace them then. The older shop manual will probably be very helpful and some special tools are required.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Gave a quick look at 1996/115 HP and need model # to get exact part.Looks like 20" model is just over $400.00, While 25" is less.STRANGE.And that is just a price for the propshaft.You'll need at least a seal kit,and also replace at least the bearing in the bearing carrier.

I'm not a fan of straightening fast spinning shafts.You bent it one way now they bend it the other way.And maybe more until it measures right.Now you spin it fast,with the weight of a prop on the end.And unsuspended on the aft end. (think about a stainless prop,heavy)

Also some propshafts are bi-metal.The part of the shaft in oil is one material,and the part the prop spins on is another.The fusion of the two is very good,but how much can you expect it to withstand?After repeated bending ?

This is a serious repair.You can do it with the manual,but special tools are needed.

DHP

AlanR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ah come on DHP would you be afraid of the prop shafts breaking off? Hell id just weld it back on. My gt 150's been in the lake twice (as in fallen into the lake), been threw 3 SS props and 1 transom and she still runs like a top. Every time some 1 whos usen my boat and hits a rock they usaly brake or ding a prop or bend the prop shaft and all i do is just grind the prop down and straighten the shaft with a peice of steel. I dont see why every one is so worried.