Bent Flywheel 1998 Johnson 115hp

DevinM

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 16, 2020
Messages
28
XJ115HLECM
Bent the flywheel with one of those 3 jaw pullers. I’m asking if this bend will ride? Or do you think a machine shop can tell me how bad I got this out of round? Is it totally pooched?
Don’t want to jeopardize the crank or any bearings.
Taking off because I believe I broke a ring. Got 30psi on starboard cylinders. Walls look great with no scoring/gouging. I am in process of removing Powerhead to get opinion from shop.
Here are pics of the flywheel in the three different places. Since one bend is excessive I think I wasn’t pulling it straight up. Renting another puller today but wondering how much damage I caused. Please advise.
Thanks, Devin
 

Attachments

  • 7FD6244B-03EF-4D5C-BC43-B89EDE8FF752.jpeg
    7FD6244B-03EF-4D5C-BC43-B89EDE8FF752.jpeg
    87.1 KB · Views: 8
  • B01E7871-1817-4129-8FAC-9F719D8E8D11.jpeg
    B01E7871-1817-4129-8FAC-9F719D8E8D11.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 284466AE-757F-49E1-9C3B-B51593577AAD.jpeg
    284466AE-757F-49E1-9C3B-B51593577AAD.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 8
  • D7E688B3-DB7E-41C4-8055-6111DFA2A4CC.jpeg
    D7E688B3-DB7E-41C4-8055-6111DFA2A4CC.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 8
  • D755E00D-99FB-407B-A94A-BC39855EEEF6.jpeg
    D755E00D-99FB-407B-A94A-BC39855EEEF6.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 8

Grub54891

Admiral
Joined
Jun 17, 2012
Messages
6,488
See them three holes in the top of the flywheel? Those are for the puller. Never use a three jaw on those flywheels. IF you are extremely lucky, you just bent the ring gear. Hopefully it can be replaced. If not you need a new flywheel. At this point I'd go with the new flywheel. I suggest you get a factory manual before you proceed any further, its pretty easy to mess up stuff without the proper procedures.
 

racerone

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Dec 28, 2013
Messages
39,955
Flywheel is scrap.-----I can't believe folks do that.-----If in --Canada----evinrudeparts.ca---might be able to help.
 
Top