Bent bracket on raw water pump is $140? Seriously?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Aug 31, 2004
Messages
62,321
Re: Bent bracket on raw water pump is $140? Seriously?

Can anybody tell my why my raw water pump bracket is bent?

I would bet someone was trying to get the pump housing off and couldn't find the bolt and just went he-man on it and bent it out of the way.


And more importantly... why the new part costs $140?

That you would have to take up with Volvo, no one here has been asked to set part prices for Volvo.
 

aquafresshness

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
60
Re: Bent bracket on raw water pump is $140? Seriously?

Nope, nobody went Heman. It happened while the engine was running, because it wasn't like that before I left the dock for the day and was bent by the time I came back in the afternoon.

I'm thinking maybe the bearing is bad and bound up at one point. Unfortunate.

Well, I guess it might be time to get a new raw water pump. Pretty sad that this is my third one in 5 years and it's a $500 repair to do it this time myself with the bracket bent now.
 

aquafresshness

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
60
Re: Bent bracket on raw water pump is $140? Seriously?

bearing.jpg

Finally got my pump off. It looks like the bearing crashed from all the rust in there. Most likely caused by salt water back when it had a small little leak in Florida. I'm assuming the bearing seized up while I was on plane the other day and separated the pump into 2 pieces that I've never seen come apart before. That's also what bent my rod.

Well Don, looks like I'm ending up having to get a new pump in the end after everything.
 
Top