Bent Axle, Can it be fixed?

Elk Chaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of my tandom axles is slightly bent, enough to see it visably on the tire, slight toe in. <br /><br />Can this be straightened well enough at a body shop with some frame equipment or is it not worth trying.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Bent Axle, Can it be fixed?

Axles are normally hardened and should not be bent back. Check with the Northern Tool catalog and replace the bent axle.<br /><br />Depending on how the axle is fixed to the frame an alignment person maybe could re-align it if it is not bent.<br /><br />Bob

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

Tandam axels put a lot of force on one axel in a turn. If this is somthing you just noticed it may still be under load from a turn while backing in. If it is a permanant bend and were my rig so long as it wasn't affecting towability or eating tires I would not mess with it. Bends in tandums are usally caused by overloading axle rating.But overall I agree with bob...If bent replace or leave alone but do not try to straighten, That is asking for troubles in my book.

bassnva

Cadet

It is cheaper to replace it than having it repaired most of the time.

Israel Hands

Cadet

Don't know if this is a good comparison - truck axles are bent using hydraulic equipment to re-set camber for front end alignments and they are also heat treated. I would take it to a truck front end alignment center and give it a try. <br /><br />IH