Bent axel?

sbulla

Seaman
Something tells me my axel shouldn't look like this...

Someone must have lifted it with a floor jack in the middle. This is the first time I noticed it in the few months I've owned it. It's been towing fine. I was checking wheel bearings and lifting from each side to put the jack stands in place when it caught my eye.

Do I need to replace it or can they be straightened?

Sonny
'87 Tracker Tournament V17
'86 45hp Merc

Attachments

• axel1.jpg
    axel1.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 0

rndn

Commander
Re: Bent axel?

Did somone try to jack up the boat and trailer from the middle of the axel? Is it possible the slight arc in the axel is supposed to be there and once the weight is on the tires it straightens out? Some type of pre-stressed setup?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is a normal practice to preload the axle like that. Even if the weight of the load doesn't straighten it it will only put a bit of camber in the wheels, which makes them corner better.

erikgreen

Captain

Roger that - I have two brand new axles and they're both bent up at about that amount.

Relax :)

Erik

sbulla

Seaman

It is a normal practice to preload the axle like that. Even if the weight of the load doesn't straighten it it will only put a bit of camber in the wheels, which makes them corner better.

Alright! Thanks for the reply! I was wondering about that too. I looked under the middle and didn't see any marks and it is such a perfect arc, I guess it's supposed to be that way. Good deal!...now, if I can just find the correct bearings, I can finish up this project and get back on the water.

Thanks,
Sonny

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It's called a "cambered axle" and is built that way. Perfectly normal. If it were bent downward -- that's a problem.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

It's called a "cambered axle" and is built that way. Perfectly normal. If it were bent downward -- that's a problem.
Or bent forward, like in the worn tires post in this section.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Is that axel bent? or am I? Maybee a little of both.