Benfits of a marine survey

gooseblitz

Cadet
Hey guys I have seen alot about the marine surveys in some of the searches I have done.
How much can a marine surveyor tell about the engine and drive. I test drove both of my first 2 boats and had no issues with used boats but since it is winter here in the north east could a marine surveyor tell with a degree of certaintly how a boat will run by testing it on the muffs?
Does a compression test reveal any issues an engine could have?

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Benfits of a marine survey

A good mechanic can tell a lot about a motor with close examination while the boat is both running and visually. A compression test tells you the wear factor of a motor as rings and other internal components begin to deteriorate. The drive can be visually inspected as well as the fluid examined for metal shavings or a burnt smell, both indicative of overall wear or potential problems. A river trial really is meant to test all systems out on the water and also see how the boat handles, you should also be listening to the drive and motor under load and while turning and trimming up and down for growling and rattling noises that may indicate a bad U joint or Gimbal Bearing. If you do not know what you are doing, get a good marine mechanic to go over whatever you are buying and make sure there are no major problems. There are too many nice used boats out there to be stuck buying something with major problems unless they are disclosed and factored into the price. You can also tell a lot about a boats history just by looking at factors such as how clean is it and how do the hoses and belts look. A person that takes care of there stuff typically keeps it pretty clean and newer belts and hoses typically indicate that someone is proactively taking care of the drive train.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

since it is winter here in the north east could a marine surveyor tell with a degree of certaintly how a boat will run by testing it on the muffs?
---NO!---
From my experience, a proper pre-purchase survey must include the following:

- an inspection on land (dry survey), where he will check the hull and all underwater parts. Multiple hull soundings will be taken to check for integrity, and he will note the condition of the bottom and/or antifouling paint. All thru-hull fittings will be exercised for operation, all running gear visually inspected and any deficiencies noted. Also, pictures are normally taken.

- a sea trial (wet survey), where he will first visually check the engines and transmissions before firing. He will check all fluid levels, noting any unusual condition. If the visual inspection of the mechanicals are OK he will ask for the engines to be started. NOTE: the surveyor will NOT operate the boat, so pre-arrangements are needed to aquire a competent captain for the wet survey (often the seller will do this). While idling at the dock, he will note any unusual gauge readings, sounds, or leaks. Upon warm-up, he will request the boat be put in gear (F and R) while still secured to confirm basic function. After this, the boat is un-tied and taken to an appropriate waterway to undergo performance testing. Enroute, the surveyor will carefully monitor the mechanicals for anything unusual. When clear of other traffic he will instruct the captain to run the vessel at its maximum speed for performance testing, checking the gauges- particularly noting the RPM's and temperatures. He will request maximum speed for at least 2 minutes to check for possible overheat conditions.
At some point during the wet survey, the surveyor will check the operation of ALL boat systems- water, waste, electrical (AC and DC), valves, pumps, lighting, etc. etc. The larger the boat, the more he has to check.
The bottom line- a competent surveyor is not going for a joyride; he'll be working his tail off for the potential buyer, making sure anything unusual is noted and included in his report.

Does a compression test reveal any issues an engine could have?
The short answer- maybe. One example would be a hairline crack in a cylinder wall, which a compression test may not discover.
FYI- Unless it's pre-arranged, a surveyor will not normally perform a compression test as part of a pre-purchase survey. That kind of test is typically included in an engine survey, which is completely different from a pre-purchase survey. In my experience, very few surveyors are qualified to perform both pre-purchase and engine surveys, but some may do specific mechanical testing (like compression tests) if discussed in advance.

Get more info from the SAMS website: http://www.marinesurvey.org/

gooseblitz

Cadet

The boat is a bank repo and the salvage company said it is not able to be test driven...I plan to get an explanation since I have never bought a boat I could not sea trial.
I was wondering if since it is a bank repo and on open bid that the bank doesn't allow this for insurance issues. I almost just flat said no when I heard this then thought maybe a marine survey could give me a competent opnion and green light this boat based on putting the rabbit ears on it....I have never seen a boat tested that way so I don't know what it entails.
Does anyone have experience with buying a bank repo boat????I saw another thread when i did a search and same thing no test drive.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Being a repo just means they couldn't make the payments, they may have taken excellent care of the boat, not uncommon with things as they are, and a survey should be able to at least determine if it worth buying, if compression is good and the hull is sound, major things like that.

Being a bank sale you should be able to get a killer deal, but no it isn't the same as running the boat.

Almost everything life has risk attached, decide if you are willing to take this risk to save possibly alot of money and proceed from there.

Nandy

Commander

A lot of banks will not let you do a sea trial due to insurance issues. I would not buy a boat without sea trial unless it is a steal. For example my cobia boat. I gave 250.00 for it with no sea trial. I checked the trailer which is an galvanized gator and made sure the motor electronics and compression was good. I knew I could get my money back by selling the motor or the trailer.