Benches for 73 starcraft 14 ft.

EMSMedic79

Cadet
Hey guys,
I am trying to get the old starcraft boat back in the water for the early crappie bite and it looks like my original 30 year old teak benches have finally rotted away. I know there are a few Starcraft gurus on here and I am looking for some help on replacement benches. I went to the starcraft website and it's a totally diffrent kind of system they use now. I can't find a good price on marine teak and I am wondering about using pressure treated decking. Any help would be appreciated. I placed two pics to also help. Thanks!!!!!

Attachments

• n1073024779_349930_4538206.jpg
    n1073024779_349930_4538206.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Papa's boat in the river.jpg
    Papa's boat in the river.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Benches for 73 starcraft 14 ft.

First .... do not use PT wood in the aluminum boat. It will leach chemicals that eat aluminum :eek:

Teak would be nice but heavy and expensive but, it would look pretty.

You could go with a sheet of marine plywood or exterior plywood (either one would require epoxy or poly sealing).

I would recommend you replace (re-install) the foam too.

Okie archer

Cadet

For Bob VT:

I'm doing the same thing, except I have a lot more restoring before I can chase crappie. I was wondering if you could tell me about the resin coat for plywood vs a poly coat. I bought a sheet of exterior grade plywood and a tub of poly wood waterproofer. I got the 8yr stuff figuring it would wear better. Anyway, will this be sufficient? Is possible to carpet over this or should I get a resin and seal it instead of the poly for carpet? I'm not sure about carpet yet anyway, just thought it would look nice. Anyway, I don't know what I would do if I found this forum. There is a ton of good info and helpful people.

Thanks,
Tim

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Never used it, but I've read on this forum that poly won't last in a marine environment...but since you're talking only seats, it should do okay. Most folks seal any kind of wood for a boat with epoxy resin used in fiberglass work. You can carpet over either one, but carpet will stain and stink and keep the wood under it moist when it's wet or damp. In the fishing boats like yours that I've owned, I opted for a nice smooth woodgrain finish, then sealer, then removable/moveable seats or cushions...also put a tongue-n-groove deck down that is removable for cleaning the boat out. Made for a nice stable rig, underway or at anchor.

bananaboater

Ensign

I had to replace one plank (stern) for my bench seat and chose poplar, easy to work with and HD stocks it. I did paint it with a good exterior paint but it will be totally hidden by the bench seat. See my phtobkt site.

Okie archer

Cadet

Cool, thanks guys. I was wondering what the resin was, didn't realize it was the same as fiberglass type. Probably won't mess with carpet anyway, I have enough work without that.