bench seat rebuild

rml

Seaman
Greetings,<br />I have rebuilt the frame of a bench seat and have a couple of questions regarding protecting three spots on the new frame.<br /><br />Here's a profile of the seat:<br /><br />
boatseat_sketch_rev0.GIF
<br /><br />There is currently exposed, epoxy covered 3/4" doug fir marine plywood at points A (where the sundeck/motor box hatch meets the back of the seat frame), B (in the little nook, between the cushions) and C (the front edge of the storage/seat deck). I am currently thinking that I should radius all edges, then encapsulate these areas with resin soaked cloth, then finish with a nice white top coat.<br /><br />My question: <br /><br />Is cloth the best choice? Point A will get stepped on quite a bit. Point B will probably accumulate a bunch of stuff over time and point C will likely be felt by the back of passengers knees. If so, what weight cloth and should I use multiple layers? If not cloth then what other options are there? The seat cushion is going to be removable, the seat back will be mounted onto a resin covered 1/4" ext ply, then studded to the seat frame back.<br /><br />Regards,<br /><br /> --rml<br /><br />p.s. We are currently making the boxed and welted seat cushions using 4" foam and marine vinyl - I'll be sure to post pictures once it is complete -- and many thanks to everyone for posting on the subject of upholstery. Saved a ton of $$ and learned an another important skill!

Bass Runner

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: bench seat rebuild

If it's going to have to take a lot of wear I would look into some Duck Canvas to cover it with it is heavy duty and if you scotch guard it real good it shouldn't stain very easy.

rml

Seaman

Sorry Bassrunner, I meant fiberglass cloth...versus mat. I'm trying to get that nice shiny white look to the areas of the bench seat that are not covered with vinyl.<br /><br /> --rml

Bondo

Staff member

Mat is Smoother.......<br />Cloth is Stronger........