Belt Alignment Mark, Merc1100 ?

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Quick question....where should the Belt Alignment Mark be on the flywheel ?, when #1 are at TDC ?, or ??

Old engine, markings lost because of rust and age + it was disassembled and stored in a basement for close to 20 years :).

1966 Merc 1100 (NOT SS), dual point/twin coil .

Arne Kjetil

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Belt Alignment Mark, Merc1100 ?

Pull the top spark plug and find the point where the piston is at TDC.

Now look at where the flywheel is over the dist pulley. There should be a dot or line scribed in flywheel by the teeth. A piece of sandpaper over the area might help with locating.

Once found, the mark on the flywheel will align with a mark on the dist pulley USUALLY UNDER THE METAL DISC. The small bolt and metal disc is removed from the top of dist drive pulley.

If the flywheel marks are nowhere to be found, the flywheel, and it's hub probably has been dissasembled and reinstalled incorrectly. When removing a flywheel, it is supposed to be removed with the big nut in the middle and not all the little ones, especially if not marked for correct assembly.

Droll

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Belt Alignment Mark, Merc1100 ?

Pull the top spark plug and find the point where the piston is at TDC.

That answered my question :), thanks .

Set #1 at TDC, "draw" a "line" from the center of the dist pulley to the center of the flywheel, make a NEW line on the flywheel....
THEN as described in the manual .....

If the flywheel marks are nowhere to be found, the flywheel, and it's hub probably has been dissasembled and reinstalled incorrectly. When removing a flywheel, it is supposed to be removed with the big nut in the middle and not all the little ones, especially if not marked for correct assembly.
Old engine, markings lost because of rust and age + it was disassembled and stored in a basement for close to 20 years :).

Those who disassembled this engine didn't have the right tools, therefor they removed those 8 center bolts .......

I am only putting this engine back together :) .

crankshaft_3.jpg

Some of the parts I received......look between #4 and #5...that's why.... ( NOT fixed, replaced)

Sammen_6.jpg

Getting closer....working on the timing now.

Arne Kjetil