Bellows/gimbal/trim senders do I really need all these specialty tools?

gerard143

Cadet
I want to do the bellows, gimbal bearing and seal, and trim senders. Alpha 1 gen ii. I have a hinge pin tool that's it.

My question is do I really need all the other crap? Bellows expansion tool...gimbal bearing driver, gimbal bearing seal driver, alignment shaft, bellow sleeve tool etc or can you generally just pound the stuff in with a big socket. Is it really that hard without the expansion tool and my alignment was checked about 15 hrs usage ago so just because I'm changing the bearing can I just skip the alignment? I'd buy all the tools if I had the cash now but I want the job done..I'm rather handy and figure half the time you never really need all this stuff they say you do. Please give me some insight and thanks.

gerard143

Cadet
Re: Bellows/gimbal/trim senders do I really need all these specialty tools?

Owh...also I do have a slide hammer to remove old gimbal. I would make just an alighment tool if I knew what the shaft length and diameter was. I could even step it down on the lathe at work if it needed to be or do they just do that for putting the bearing driver and seal driver tools on the alignment shaft?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go up to the Adults only sticky http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430
and go to section 10. There is a drawing for the alignment bar.
Yes, it takes special tools, especially for installing the gimbal bearing. It has to be driven in straight and pressing only on the outer ring.
Bellows expanders ......... there was a post not too long ago on how to make one.
Easier to just use an exhaust tube and not the bellows.

gerard143

Cadet

Thanks that drawings just what I needed. I have a buddy that just did the job and said he didn't need the alignment tool and just used a big socket on the outer section of the bearing to drive it in. I don't see why I'd really need an alignment tool as it's not like I'm
Moving the engine so alignment shouldn't change. Socket method to hammer it in sounds like it'd work fine

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't care what you do or don't do, I just answered your question.
Not many people have a 3 to 4" socket laying around, and while you might get lucky without an alignment bar for not. If you do not check the alignment yearly, and it does go out for some reason, you will pull the engine to replace the $300 coupler.
Your choice.

gerard143

Cadet

No I understand I appreciate the answer. It's all new to me and I'm hearing you can do it without specialty tools and then hear the opposite so I wanted to get insight from those who've done it several times