Bell housing to outdrive gasket protruding

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I did see another post about this but couldn’t find an answer, other than it’s common. I just reinstalled my outdrive to the bell housing and the gasket between them is protruding on the left side near the water pickup. I can see about half of the red (maybe RTV) sealer that Quicksilver puts on the gasket. I torqued to 50 ft-lbs per the manual and cleaned the mounting surfaces before install. I think the gasket may have shifted slightly when trying to manhandle the outdrive into position. My question is, should I worry about it leaking? Thanks!

Attachments

• C640958F-E211-4B68-B02B-BF6D4CCCAA6E.jpeg
    C640958F-E211-4B68-B02B-BF6D4CCCAA6E.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 4

alldodge

Staff member
The gasket should not slide out. In most cases this happens when folks use RTV. The RTV makes it slick and it slides out. The gasket should be installed dry

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
The gasket should not slide out. In most cases this happens when folks use RTV. The RTV makes it slick and it slides out. The gasket should be installed dry
Installed dry without RTV and both surfaces were clean. What I meant to say is the quicksilver gasket has a red bead on it already out of the box. See the attached picture.

alldodge

Staff member
OK no RTV, yet the bead came out.
It should not have happened, there 2 flat surfaces. The red bead is what helps it stay in place. Guess I've been lucky, but never had one slide out

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
I had 4 slip out in a row. very common. #1 get gasket without beat, #2 pull out extruded part, use permeated ultra black to fill gap, let dry, your done. #3 take wood with sandpaper so flat and sand rock hard POS bead on gasket parallel to gasket.
Truth be told the permeated works the best, use blue painter tape on either side of gap on gimbal and outdrive. smear it in good and hard where it meets the gasket still there. I pull that thing apart down the road the permeated is still stuck to both sides with gasket hanging off either end.

Last edited:

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
I had 4 slip out in a row. very common. #1 get gasket without beat, #2 pull out extruded part, use permeated ultra black to fill gap, let dry, your done. #3 take wood with sandpaper so flat and sand rock hard POS bead on gasket parallel to gasket.
Truth be told the permeated works the best, use blue painter tape on either side of gap on gimbal and outdrive. smear it in good and hard where it meets the gasket still there. I pull that thing apart down the road the permeated is still stuck to both sides with gasket hanging off either end.
I thought I was doing the right thing with buying a Quicksilver gasket but I guess I should have went aftermarket without the bead. Ok, I’ll give the Permatex a try. That sounds a whole lot better than taking the drive off again and starting over to only have the same thing happen. It’s really frustrating! I have a tube of Permatex 82180 ultra black. Is that the correct one?

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
That will work perfect. Remember there is zero pressure in your outdrive. only pressure is water trying to get it. probably could use playdo if it didn't dissolve.

Kman530

Seaman Apprentice
That will work perfect. Remember there is zero pressure in your outdrive. only pressure is water trying to get it. probably could use playdo if it didn't dissolve.
Thanks for the help, I’ll go ahead and apply some tomorrow. Playdo - hahaha 🤣

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure what you're saying in #3. Can you unpack that more please?

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Think I figured it out. You mean prior to install sand the bead. Gotcha. I'll be doing this for a buddy soon so wanted to be prepared. I've done mine several times and never had it pop out but evidently it's an issue. Goes without saying I suppose but ya gotta take the six nuts in slow, alternating sides, criss crossing, etc.