Beginer bass tips?

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Beginer bass tips?

Water temp is 48. One day to go, and the teacher canceled. Now it's just me and my son. I've been sick for 2 weeks,(some creeping crud that lasts for weeks has been going around) but I have put this off too many times before, so I'm going fishing tomorow no matter what. Wish me luck!

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Kalian:<br /> I think I'm gonna need a seperate tackle box just for bass.
Ya, right, and just one! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ROFLMAO!!! :D <br /><br />Start off with a bag type with several compartments. and you will have it full in no time. ;) <br /><br />You know not what you have done Weedhopper!!! :p

Ron G

Commander

Lol @BF very true words.Kalian we wont to hear all about it.Im going tomarrow i can barly wait.

Ron G

Commander

Lol @BF very true words.Kalian we wont to hear all about it.Im going tomarrow i can barly wait.<br /> And one more thing theres nothing better than going fishing with your dad or son,i love the times when we can go togeather but most of the time we fish against each other.but its still fun.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I remember when I was a kid I ordered a fishing kit from the back of a comic book. It had a few rods and reels and some lures and other stuff. From then on I was spending all my money on fishing stuff. After starting a family fishing kinda fell off the list for about 15 years. Now that I have a boat and good fishing places nearby, it looks like I'll be spending a lot more time and money fishing.<br /> I never got to go fishing with my dad, he wasn't into it, but he would drop me off at the lake and pick me up when it was time to go home. I'm hoping I can get my son hooked on fishing. My daughter is interested too!<br /> I'll try to snap some pics, but I'm not promising anything. My wife is the camera buff. Well, gotta go load up the truck.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Kalian:<br /> I'm hoping I can get my son hooked on fishing. My daughter is interested too!<br />
Kids are funny about fishing. I took my Grand daughter out in the boat with the wife and me. She said that she didnt want to fish just go for a boat ride so she spent most of her time looking trough all my tackle. I hooked a Bass about 2 #'s and she didnt know I had it on. I handed her the pole and said, "Hey would you hold this for me for a minite"? When she noticed the fish, she was all excited and loves to fish now.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I'm back. I didn't stay as late as I planned. My son wasn't feeling well, so I took my daughter. We had a blast, but nothing worked out right.<br /> To start off, I was delayed, and didn't get on the road till about 3:30pm. As I was driving down 99 I realized I had forgotten my camarea. Shortly after that I realized I had forgotten my jacket. Got the boat in the water, tied up at the dock to get my daughter in and untied the boat, pushed off and jumped in the boat.(I have never done that before, I don't know why I did it this time, I always start the motor and make sure it's running strong before I push off). Anyway, I was about 3 feet away from the dock when I realized what I had done. I went to start the motor and it wouldn't start. Sprayed the premix and it sputtered a few times then just wouldn't do anything. I'm now right in the middle of the area just in front of the ramp, and if anyone else was there I would have been blocking access. I decided to use a couple squirts of starter fluid, and it started up and we were underway.<br /> It was then that I realized I had also forgotten to bring the drinking water. Doh! But no biggie, my daughter was happy to be back in the boat, so we cruised out looking for a good spot to hunker down and fish. <br /> The lake was covered with debris, I only had a few spots where I could open it up, and then more logs everywhere. I decided I didn't want to have to come back through all that crap when it was dark, so I just stopped and we fished awhile for bass. It was a terible spot, right out in the middle with no points anywhere. I knew I wasn't gonna get any hits, but I bounced the worm off the bottom several times, and then switched over to raw shrimp for catfish. No hits on that either, but we didn't stay too long, my daughter was getting cold and hungry. But she had a great time! She was jabbering the whole time, and was obviously having a good time, which was the whole point anyway. She's 8 years old, and she wasn't disapointed that we didn't catch anything. She was enjoying looking up at the stars, listeng to and imitating all the animal sounds she heard, and just having fun in general. We're gonna go again sometime soon, hopefully my son will go this time. Well, I gotta go, hopefully next trip I'll have something better to report!<br /> By the way Bassin, nice move! Made me smile just reading it. There's nothing more rewarding than seeing your kids happy and enjoying themselves!

Ron G

Commander

Thats great kalian its not always about catching im glad you and your daughter had a good time hope your son geets better.any fishing trip is better than no trip.

Skinnywater

Commander

If you go back out soon fish the creek inlets, use brown pigs&jigs, and fish VEEEEEEERRRRRRYYYYYYYslowly. ;) <br /><br />Actually, until the water temp rises in another month or so, I'd be on those Hybrid King Salmon and Brown trout that Oroville is known for.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry Skinnywater, i missed your reply. I'd love to go after the salmon/brown trout but I'm having problems with the boat right now. I probably won't have it up and running for another couple months. Thanks for the sugestions though!