Beginer bass tips?

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer
Hey folks, I'm gonna be taking my son and his 5th grade teacher fishing next weekend. I plan on getting on the water around 3pm. I thought we'd do some bass fishing in the evening and then switch over to catfishing after dark. I have only bass fished 2 or 3 times in my life, and need some pointers.<br /> I'll be fishing on a lake thats mostly rocky shoreline, and pretty deep. The ambient temps have been 50-60 daytime dropping down to mid 30's? at night. Don't know about the water temps, but I'll google it and see if I can find out. I was thinking of using rubber worms texas style. Any suggestions?

FLATHEAD

Captain
Re: Beginer bass tips?

If the water has not warmed up to around 50 I would fish deep. Or find some more shallow ledges adjacent to deep water. Dont know what the main forage base for fish is in your lake but around here we have gizzard shad. I do well in cold water using jigging spoons fished off any deep cover I can find. When I say deep I mean 25 to 40 feet. You might want to try bounceing a jig down steep rocky shoreline. Small mouth like to hit tubes when the water is cold. Keep in mind I am a long ways from where your fishing and this info may not be much good for your neck of the woods

Ron G

Commander

Going to get the son some brownie points? :) If there inexperinced keep it simple and fun and active so they wont get bored try small crankbaits in crawdad patterns,or jigs,the spoons are a good idea but with rock and inexperince you may loose some.start pretty shallow who knows the fish maybe up on the rocks warming up and then move deep.good luck

Silver/Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with flahthead, fish tubes or your rubber worms along those rocks. We have good luck with both here. Water temp. might be an issue?<br />Best of Luck!

LubeDude

Admiral

Not sure where you are going, but likly you will have Smallmouth where you are going. Small 3-4" Senko type worms shoud be good. Rig them wacky style, (Search on google).<br /><br /> Fishing Senkos

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the tips. I did manage to find out the water temp today is 42 degrees. I'll be fishing on lake Oroville.<br /> Flathead, there is definitly smallmouth. I'd love to hook one, I hear they fight like a bluegill but have the size of a bigmouth bass.<br /> Ron G. My son is in the 6th grade now, so it's too late for brownie points! <br /> Thanks, Jonathon Q!<br /> Bassin' Fever. I googled, it sounds like a good technique. I'l rig mine that way, but it might be better to rig my son's weedless. He's very inexperienced. Your thoughts?<br /> MYTJC, I just saw your post. I'll check that out as well. Thanks!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

42 degrees that's chilly for basses. Find the warmest water you can. Probably shoreline with a southern exposure. Riprap maybe. I would have said rattletrap until I heard the water temp. got to slow down for that.<br /><br />Look for points, I would have said 10 - 15ft, but 40 is not too deep.<br /><br />T-rig Worms can be frustrating because it takes practice to be able to detect strikes and set the hook. Wacky rig is an excellent idea...drop shot maybe?<br /><br />Here's a good wacky-rig tip from the texasfishingforum <br /><br />If you do go weedless, tex-posed gets you a better chance for a hookset. I like gamakatsu extra-wide-gap offset shank hooks for that, about a 3/0 for senko, I think.<br /><br />Any doubts about color...go with watermelon/redflake.<br /><br />Jig & pig, let it drop, lift the rod tip a couple feet & wait for it to hit bottom again, reel in slack, repeat.<br /><br />Do they have white bass on that lake?

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Bassin'fever, it won't play, says I am an unauthorized user.<br /> JT, lots of info there, thanks. Whats a white bass? Is that crappie? If so they got em.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

I've been following the fishing reports, and the bite seems to have slowed down a lot this week due to colder temps. Hopefuly it will warm back up again next week.

skeeterboy

Petty Officer 1st Class

For largemouth go to probass.com and check the link PRO TIPS AND REVIEWS and they have a ton of info about tech. on bass fishing.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Jtexas, aren't they a hybrid? I remember when I moved to Virginia the big thing was "Rockfish". It took me a while to realize they were talking about striped bass. It can be confusing sometimes trying to figure out all the diferent nicknames for fish from people from diferent geographical areas. :) Anyway, I'm not sure about white bass being in lake oroville, but I think they aren't. I've checked a few sites but they don't mention white bass.<br /> Thanks Skeeterboy, I'll do that.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Hybrid is a cross between striped bass and white bass. They get much bigger than whites, and tolerate a wider range of water temp variation than stripers. They have to be created in the hatchery & stocked, as they don't reproduce. Whites, hybrids & stripers can be less of a challenge than largemouths for beginners, is why I asked.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks JT. I googled some more and it seems there is only one lake in Ca that has white bass. Oh well, no biggie. I've got a lot of info here, thanks to you guys. I have a week to go over it all. I'll post some pics if we catch anything AND if I remember to bring the digicam.

Ron G

Commander

Kalian is there any grass in the lake?if the that water is 42 and rising you may want to try a rattle trap,there deadly at times when the water start warming up.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Ron, I'm not sure about the grass. There are a lot of coves, but the ones I've been in all seem rocky. I'll look into that. Last week the forecast for this area call ed for temps in around 52 for this coming weekend. Todays forcast calls for low 60's. It's in the 60's today and forcasted 60's for the rest of the week. Hopefully the water will warm up some.

Ron G

Commander

Kalin do you keep track of that water temp,it wouldnt surprise non of some of the bigones start spawning soon there.Dont forget to try the crankbait and rattletrp,check the pockets and creeks good look at the points and secondary points leading into spawning areas and flats you should be in for some good fishing.

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

I apreciate that Ron G! I went to wallmart and stocked up. I think I'm gonna need a seperate tackle box just for bass. I'm gonna check the water temp again tomorow, hopefully it's come up some.<br /> I'm 2 days away from fishing!