Bedliner and Aluminum

techjob4u

Cadet
I have read a bunch of posts about the pros and cons on bedliner.

Here is something I can not find and answer to. If I apply bedliner to aluminum will it cause the aluminum to corrode under the bedliner and will I have to sand off and re do like gel coat every few years?

I have an old starcraft, and my issue is the person who owned it before me put hundreds of little snap on rivets for a cover along the side walls and top of the walls. Most of the rivets are rotted or corroded so I have a choice.

Option #1 Replace the rivets with new ones and try to make a cover for the boat. I have a modern cover I bought at walmart that doesnt use snaps and would prefer to use that over trying to match up rivets and replacing a ton of old ones.

Option #2 Take off the old screw on rivets and fill with marine tex putty (open for suggestions) and then sand. However I know all the repairs are gonna show thru rustoleum paint, So I was thinking about bedliner on the outside and top repaired areas. Then I was planning on repainted the water line areas smooth.

Option #3 repair the holes paint with rustoleum and deal with the flaws.

Everyone keeps saying bedliner will add weight but a can is 7-10 ilbs max, and can of paint is about 5 ilbs is not a huge concern.

Also has anyone gulvit the inside and then added bedliner to the inside. I would think that would make the boat beyond waterproof. Its only a 16 ft boat so one coat should take 2 gallons if that. And my engine is a light weight 40 hp Johnson tracker.

Thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bedliner and Aluminum

Ayuh,... Personally,... I'd pick option #3....

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

you mean screw on snaps not rivets, correct???
to keep on old covers on and you now have a trap style cover for the entire boat,right.
my experience with the spray on liner(on truck beds) is it looks nice but will scrape off easliy leading me to believe it does not adhere really good, not like the professional apps.
i would use marine-tex, it's sandable and then paint

joe​

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

There have been mixed reviews of using bedliner on aluminum...... mostly to the negative. Xpress boats used to sell it as an option to line the inside decking but the local dealer said it was nothing but trouble and a warranty nightmare. Keep in mind that it was applied to new aluminum..... I would save my money and toss the idea. I do know if you have a problem it compounds the trouble for future repairs.

Get rid of the corroded rivets. Is is salt water corrosion or did someone use steel rivets?....... or are you tlaking about the male ends of snaps?

Snaps can be easily replaced and yes you can even buy a snap tool to install your own into a canvas cover. Keep in mind that when they install snaps in a "quality" cover there is usually an extra layer of material. I would suggest that you visit an awning shop in your area and I imagine they can help you.

If you just want to close up the holes ..... get rid of the snaps and you can install aluminum pop rivets. Cheap, fast and effective. If you use a marine type filler and that spot flexes the filler could fail and leave you with a small hole again.

One 2 lb can of gluvit is enough to do a 16' Jupiter properly.

techjob4u

Cadet

Yeah they are the screw on male end snaps. From the old style boat covers, they are all over the place on the sides near the top etc.

I was thinking about using Alumina weld rods (braising) but even with sanding there are going to be a bunch of little marks, and the boat had a prior welding repair right above the waterline so I was thinking the texture could hide the flaws.

I bought a can of bed liner which I planed on using on the back end of the boat near the transom and steering cables are. (the metal structure that covers the gas and bilge and not sure what thats called)

I was also debating on what I should seal my floors with. I also have some garage floor epoxy, to seal the exterior plywood flooring. I need to read up on results of bedliner and floor epoxy on wood.

As far as the boat painting, now I am leaning towards sticking to paint. I wonder if there is a textured or thick paint for boats.

I saw a paint made for Aluminum roofs in trailer homes. Its bright Aluminum color and only $30 a gallon. I wonder if anyone has ever used that in a marine environment?

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i bought my rivet gun local for 12.oo and use closed end rivrt below the water line and reg (alum) rivets above​

techjob4u

Cadet

Ok will check out the Hardware stores this week.

I found some marine coating from this company. I wonder how this is compared to bedliner. I wrote them an email asking if they have had issues with Aluminium or if this is for steel / fiberglass only. I will post reply if I get one.
I have a sample of the stuff i ordered a few years ago but I have been afraid to use it incase its not good for aluminum.
http://www.chirienterprise.com/Job-Marine/Job-Marine.html

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I bought a can of bed liner which I planed on using on the back end of the boat near the transom and steering cables are. (the metal structure that covers the gas and bilge and not sure what that's called)

It's called the splashwell. I also used bedliner on mine on my Jupiter.

I was also debating on what I should seal my floors with. I also have some garage floor epoxy, to seal the exterior plywood flooring. I need to read up on results of bedliner and floor epoxy on wood.

Be careful using that garage floor product. It is designed for concrete and may not take well to any kind of flexing.

As far as the boat painting, now I am leaning towards sticking to paint. I wonder if there is a textured or thick paint for boats.

Look for a "high build" primer. As for paint, I can't recommend Easypoxy enough. It's fantastic but it definitely won't hide any flaws. Let the primer do that.

techjob4u

Cadet

Well not exactly the detail I was looking for but the company responded to me about the marine coating.

Still on the fence about it, but I guess I dont need the paint for some time. All I need is just enough to cover the back transom and I can worry about painting the sides in the spring. I have a sample can of this product in grey about 4oz and I have bed liner or i might just get some white paint that pettite brand that was recommended.

I just want to get the interior done and mount the engine, and not take it off again anytime soon. to heavy for me to mess with with no help more then one time. So just need enough to cover the "splashwell" and transom.

Make it fishable worry about paint later. (as is my friends are calling it the SS never sails" since it has been in my garage forever)

Not to mention my father knows how to airbrush and use to do hotrods back in the early 60's at Maplecrest Glass and Autobody in NJ, flames and hand pin striping etc. I saw some of the motorcycle tins and helmets for his friends at work as a favor and they really came out nice. I didnt even know he could do that much less draw until recently, amazing what you learn about your parents when you get older and actually talk to them.
He told me he will come down to florida to visit and we can airbrush the exterior, flames, waves, smoke whatever and cover up the flaws, so I am leaning towards black or red as a canvas for now. He also told me he would teach me and my kids some tricks and how to do it and give me a compressor and airbrush guns if I wanna learn. Who knows maybe I will have a sideline business in the future. :)

I saw some Valspar marine topside on ebay in Bright red 3 quarts on auction, that would really look nice. Just need to see if its good or bad on aluminum. It says safe on metal, but not sure if they mean steel. And I noticed that you cant use bottom paint for fiberglass (anti fouling) on aluminum not sure why but I guess it has to do with oxidation?

Here is the email they sent me...........

Customers have used product on aluminum boats without any problems
Click below for test data plus MSDS
For Metal applications - http://www.chirienterprise.com/Other/GM-Tests.html
http://www.chirienterprise.com/Other/IndLabTests.html
http://www.chirienterprise.com/Other/MaterialSafetyData.html
Order a 4 ounce can sample
http://www.chirienterprise.com/Other/order_sample.html
We custom color with orders of 5 gallon pails or more ,all we need is a benjamin Moore paint color code and name
click below for color choices
http://www.o-geepaint.com/ArchiCoats/Mooresamples.shtml
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Searc...&RefineBy_Manufacturer=Benjamin+Moore&Search=
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/Myperfectcolor-com-Benjamin-Moore-Colors-s/80.htm
Dominic Chiricosta
Chiri Enterprise Inc.
54 15 th. Street
Roxboro,Quebec
H8Y 1N6
Canada
514-685-9463 Tel:
514-975-9463 Cell:
514-585-5826 Fax:
e-mail: dchiricosta@chirienterprise.com
Web-Site: www.chirienterprise.co