bedding through hulls

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I picked up a couple through hulls yesterday for my livewell. Both go below the waterline. The dealer sold me a couple black plastic ones that are good for this application. On my way home, I picked up a tube of West Marine 8200 Polyurathane caulk on sale. After installing the through hulls, I was thumbing through the West Marine catalog and came across the caulk I had just purchased. While the description said it was good for bedding through hulls, it also said it was not compatible with ABS plastic. I know from plumbing that ABS pipe is black, and that my through hulls are also black. Do you guys think I should redo my job? Do they even make through hulls from ABS? Or should I just get in the boat and go?

Thank You

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: bedding through hulls

I reccomend that anything below the waterline is bronze it's worth the extra money to not worry about sinking IMHO.

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: bedding through hulls

I fully agree that bronze is the best way to go. However, all aluminum trailer boats that I recall have plastic (actually marelon) through hulls. I hear of hose or hose clamp failures as being the culprit for the majority of problems. I definately wouldn't be using plastic on a large, expensive yacht that ventures off shore or spends all its time on the water. Thanks for your advice, and one day, I hope to be shopping for bronze!