Bed Liner my entire bottom of my boat?

123svt

Cadet
Im about to paint my tri hull boat, and was considering doing the entire thing in hurricane bedliner, the stuff made for truck beds. Would it slow the boat down that much???

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bed Liner my entire bottom of my boat?

I don't really know how much but it would definitely slow it down. that stuff is very ruffand has a dull finish that grips. I wouldn't do it.

drewpster

Commander

Bedliner is a myth as a boat finish. I few years back I stored a boat on a boat yard. They used to re-do house boat bottoms there. My boat was just visiting. The crew there were a real set of winners. They would charge a huge amount of money to unsuspecting house boat owners to to maintain their hulls. They used bed liner.
After getting to know the lead loser running the paint crew I found out that bed liner was used to keep the house boaters coming back. That's right, they knew that better products would last much longer. But why kill the business? Use bedliner and low and behold they would be back two years later needing their boats painted again. I want to make a living too but come on! Bed liner may be ok as a deck coating on a duck hunting boat but that is far is it goes for me.
Let me qualify this by stating that I have never used the stuff myself but after hearing that little bit of info, bedliner goes in truck beds not on boat hulls. my 2cents:)

123svt

Cadet

Does fine in my the bed of my truck, and its been in there for years so I dont get that..??? ANd people mention its slippery when wet, therefore it should slide on water fine right??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it is fine for interior of the boat, i prefer Grizzly Grip. it is heavy, and not made to be submerged in water. i will say this, it is your boat, do what you want to it, but you have been warned, several times in this thread.

123svt

Cadet

so it gets heavier than its original state in the gallon??... How does that work??

TitanTea

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do it and tell us how it works out for you.

dachyk22

Cadet

i did this to my old 14 starcraft alum v hull about a year ago painted the boat then roughed up the bottom and applied the bedliner worked great it depends what brand u go with as some are smoother than others but the one i used was a little gritty and it didnt slow my boat down much if any i had a twenty five horse on there and could still hit the same speed i cuold before hand and it was durable as hell hit shore and the trailer a few times and didnt even nick the bed liner u can kind of see it in my profile pic give er a try see how it works good luck
im toying with idea of doing this on the bottom of my mfg tri hull im doing at least on the bottom of the v's to protect them
oh yeah the bed liner also helped with the annoying wave slapping that happens on the bottom of a small light weight aluminum boat in rougher water