Bearings found in gearcase! What to do with damaged gears

t-osu

Cadet
Hi all....
As you can see by the title, I'm in a pretty rough spot right now so be gentle with the replies 😅
I recently posted on steering&controls that my outboard slipped out from fwd-nuetral and was told it was likely the dog clutch (made sense after I looked up what the dog clutch is!).
So I proceeded to take apart my lower unit and as I removed my reverse gear I saw that one of the teeth (are they called teeth?) had a chunk taken out of it. Then I thought "oh crap" and as I removed the shifting assembly, the propeller shaft, i saw the dog clutch on the reverse side had a small chunk gone, otherwise it didn't look rounded at all, neither did the forward, at least to my non-experienced eyes.
The pinion and forward gear also had one or two teeth that had some chunks gone. The roller bearing at the end has too many small metal chunks in it so I'll have to replace that b/c it's not nice and smooth when you spin it.

I then removed the driveshaft and saw that one of the bearing assemblies was broken! So I will replace that, too....now that i found the culprit of my issue.
Anyway, I got a magnet and removed all the chunks of metal I could.

My question is, looking at the photos below of my dog clutch, forward, reverse gear, and pinion, do I absolutely need to replace all of them? They have chunks out, but they are small. I'm not too familiar with how important that is, I mean I know it's important, chunks gone are not good. All I'm really thinking about is how this is going to cost me a pretty penny...
Also, if my dog clutch looks fine on forward, why was it slipping out? Maybe a chunk of metal was interfering?
Also also, I did not see #34 thrust washer when I was disassembling.

Thanks for the advice!
bearing inside:
bearing inside.jpg

bearings taken out:
bearings.jpg
metal shavings in back:
metal shavings in back.jpg

forward gear front view:
fwd_frontview.jpg
forward gear chunk:
forward_chunk1.jpg

reverse gear chunks:
reverse_chunks.jpg

pinion chunks from different views:
pinion_chunks.jpgpinion_chunks_diffview.jpg

dog clutch forward vs rear side view:
dog clutch sidebyside rear vs fwrd.jpg

dog clutch forward top view:
dog clutch_fwd top view.jpg
dog clutch forward right view:
dog clutch_rightview_fwrd.jpg
dog clutch rear chunk:
dog clutch_rear chunk.jpg

#34 part:
Inked34.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need new gears.----New bearings.----Need to figure out why or it will happen again.----I say look for a good used lower unit as that will save big $$----Is #34 still in the bearing housing ?

t-osu

Cadet
Oh that is a good idea, look for a whole used lower unit. I will check to see if it is on the bearing housing!
Does anyone know the difference between the models? I have a 35E79A, and found a used lower unit 35953A. It looks like the former is for johnson and the latter for evinrude, but looking on marineengine.com parts diagram, the parts used are the same model numbers so I think that would be fine to get then?