Bearing grease zerks?

kfa4303

Banned
Hi all. So I was inspecting the trailer and noticed that my hubs/bearings have grease zerks rather than the typical nut and cotter pin set up that I'm more familiar with. How do I service/replace the bearings, or do I just pump them full of grease using the existing zerks? It looks like they had spring-loaded bearing buddies caps, which have long since been lost. Can I/should I remove the zerk set up and convert to a normal bearing buddy set up? There also appears to be a disc/seal that has come free from the backside of each hub as well. Thanks for any help. Also, does anyone know a good place to look for trailer tires? I need 3 x 4.80-8 long range (Class C?) tires and an extra 4-hole rim to use as a spare. Thanks.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bearing grease zerks?

Either way sounds like you need to pull the hubs to change the rear seal. I am curious as to what setup you have... is the zerk on the end of the spindle like this?
ez lube.jpg

Or is it the bearing buddy like this?
bearingbuddycutaway.gif

As far as tires... i would go to your local tire shop where you buy tires for your truck. Or a tractor supply or a northern tool? TSC and northern have wheels too. I have priced tires online and i don't think you can save any money over buying local.

Willyclay

Captain

Also, does anyone know a good place to look for trailer tires? I need 3 x 4.80-8 long range (Class C?) tires and an extra 4-hole rim to use as a spare. Thanks.

My son has bought all his vehicle tires from TireRack.com for years and swears he can beat any local deal I can make. A quick surf shows that they do offer trailer tires. I don't know about wheels. Good luck!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/trailer.jsp

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks 90. It looks more like the second pic for sure. Is there some way to remove the zerk to get to the bearing/seals behind them, or should I just pump them full of grease? Thanks.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

with the bearing buddy type you should just pump in enough grease to slightly move the plate in which the zerk is mounted ... too much grease will blow the inside seal .... the whole bearing buddy can be removed from the hub by lightly tapping its outer edge as you turn the wheel .... they must be removed to work on the bearings

Jim

kfa4303

Banned

I see. Once they're removed, will I find the usual cotter pin and nut assembly behind them? Thanks again.

JEBar

Chief Petty Officer

I see. Once they're removed, will I find the usual cotter pin and nut assembly behind them? Thanks again.

correct .... they just provide a way to add grease without removing the end cap

Jim

UncleWillie

Captain

... they just provide a way to add grease without removing the end cap...

The grease you add does NOT grease the Bearings unless you way, WAY, overdo it!
The grease is added to produce a slight positive pressure to the hubs to prevent water intrusion.
A good idea in theory, in practice it has some problems.

You still have to pull the hubs to grease the bearings.

kfa4303

Banned

Gotcha. Do I have to replace/reuse the zerk-style bearing buddies, or can I convert to the regular non-zerk kind. Thanks.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Bearing grease Zerks?

Gotcha. Do I have to replace/reuse the Zerk-style bearing buddies, or can I convert to the regular non-Zerk kind. Thanks.

Bearing Buddies are an after market add on device.
The trailer did not have them originally.

You can replace them with blank dust caps if you wish, or just treat the bearing buddies as regular caps and not pump grease into them.
It's not like you have to feed them lunch every day!
Your Call!

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I just bought an axle that has the zerk fitting on the end of the spindle....when you grease them you are filling the hub from the inside!!! not quite as good as pulling the bearings and packing but about 5% of the work and mess!!! then you ionstall the dust cap over the end of the hub!!

I had a bearing buddy pop off two weeks ago and it took one trip with the trailer to spin out all the grease and I fried my hubs and destroyed my axle.....cost me $300 to get back on the road...but I got all galvanized stuff this time. 3500 lbs square axle, u bolts and galvanized hubs...

bob

kfa4303

Banned

I think that's what I have after all too Bob. Here's a pic of my set up. I guess the grease zerk bearing buddies are a bit redundant, but I can see how the built-in zerks in the spindles would make greasing the hubs much easier. Here's a pic of how I think mine works. Now I just need to track down some new bearings, and seals for both sides and a castle nut with washers for the side the wheel fell off.

0910121451-01.jpg

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Yeah, you have EZ Lube spindles, KFA. That's great news. When you get it all back together just put the grease gun on the zerk and pump until it comes out toward you, then clean up the excess and put on the cap. Wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and pack the bearings for initial installation. 4.80x8s are available just about anywhere. Should be able to get them wherever you end up getting your bearing kit.

kfa4303

Banned

Sweet. So I should pack the bearings, install them then pump in some grease using the built-in factory spindle zerk, than either cap, or reinstall the bearing buddies and cap? I was looking online today for a new castle nut and washers, but no luck. Any ideas where I might be able to find one? I think the spindle is 1", or just a shade over. I've got the other one to use as a reference, but I'm not sure where to get them. Thanks again.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If you do a search on EZ Lube hub you should be able to find ever thing, and that type of greasing system is a very easy way to go., normal the dust cap has a small rubber center plug and it works fine on keeping water out.

When I bought my new to me boat last year I passed up several till I found one sitting on a trailer with that type of system.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Sweet. So I should pack the bearings, install them then pump in some grease using the built-in factory spindle zerk, than either cap, or reinstall the bearing buddies and cap? I was looking online today for a new castle nut and washers, but no luck. Any ideas where I might be able to find one? I think the spindle is 1", or just a shade over. I've got the other one to use as a reference, but I'm not sure where to get them. Thanks again.

If you can find the EZ Lube caps I'd go with those just because they make it so easy. You tap them into the cavity just like any others, but they have little rubber inserts that you remove to access the zerks. TSC has them. If you have one inch spindles Academy should have everything else. 1 1/16" or 1 3/8" parts will be available at TSC. Chances are you'll be able to find everything you need between those two stores. Note: The EZ Lube caps are much softer than BBs, so if you go with those be sure not to hit them directly, not even a little love tap to get them started. Use a wood block or something to distribute the force and seat them evenly.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi all. I found the link below that can walk me through the grease procedure, and I found 2 sets of 1-1/16" wheel bearings with seals, but I still need 2, 1-16" tab washers and a castle nut, but I cannot find them anywhere! I just spent the past several hours driving around, but no dice. Apparently 1-16" spindles are the weirdest size ever. I went to NAPA, O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Tractor Supply, Fastenal, West Marine, and a trailer store, but nada :/ I'd like to go with the rubber caps too, but I 'm not sure where to find those either. Any ideas as to where I might be able to find them? Thanks.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Does your setup not use a cotter pin?

kfa4303

Banned

No cotter pin. Couldn't use one even if I wanted to because there isn't a hole through the spindle (See previous pic). I got the 1-1/16" bearings and seals at O-Reilly auto parts, no problem, so while it may be an odd size they do exist. I've have looked all over town and internet, but to no avail :/

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Gotcha. I know others have that configuration as well. I'm not surprised you haven't been able to find tab washers in town, but I'm surprised you've had trouble finding everything else. 1 1/16" isn't really that unusual. I was in TSC the other day and they had 1 1/16" spindles, bearings, hubs, castle nuts, and everything else (except what I needed, which was a one inch hub:rolleyes:). In any case, check with etrailer or trailerandtruckparts.com. I'd post the links but they'd get zapped. I've never needed anything that trailerandtruckparts.com didn't have. The only drawback is they're in Cali so shipping takes a while, but they're really nice folks and they have everything. I'm curious as to why you want to use rubber caps. The EZ Lube caps have rubber inserts that serve the same purpose. Are you just thinking belt and suspenders?