Bearing Carrier(Bearing House Assembly) Bolt Head Size

swannysonny

Cadet
I am currently working on taking the bearing housing seal assembly out of my 1980 Johnson 115hp. I can't figure out the socket wrench size to take the four bolts out(Part number 0316563) that hold it in place. A 1/2inch socket feels right but than it starts feeling like it stripping the head. The new ones that came with the oem lower unit seal kit I ordered fit a 3/8 inch socket but that socket doesn't fit the ones on the motor currently. Since I am doing this all in the gearcase it's really hard to tell anything. If anyone knows the correct socket size please let me know!!! Or if I just have stripped heads on the bolts

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many of those used a 3/8" head on the bolt.---Or try a 7/16" .----There could be dirt and corrosion around the bolt head too.

LundAngler1650

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wire brush the bolt head some, then use a 6 point socket only, as tight as you can possibly get to fit on it. Always use a 6 point socket whenever possible to.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe those ever used screws with 1/2" heads.----Unless it was molested by a previous owner.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
My 60/70’s use a 3/8 socket?. Did a previous owner strip the head?
Can you mark the bolt and then gently turn it back, check your progress. Use a flashlight and see what kind of play you have on it before applying pressure.