Bearcat 55 impeller and oil filter help

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have twin Fisher Pierce Bearcat 55s that came on a recent boat purchase and need to get them mechanically sound. Weather I keep them or not.

I've beaten the internet and talked directly to Globe on the impeller (part # 223) and they seem to no longer be in existence. Looks like the same impeller was used in Scott and McCulloch.

The oil filters where actually also used for fuel oil furnaces. Napa #4104 Wix #24104. I used a cross reference chart and found many other brands but so far all dead ends.

https://zemp4cyclemarine.com › bearcat-55
is not answering there phone or returning messages.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Thanks. I called them and the guys have a ton of info but no parts any longer. Seems to be a running theme. AOMCI web site wasn't working yesterday. Wouldn't let me sign in as guest.
It is a scott 3 cylinder lower unit, If it is the same impeller those are being made yet by people. Join the AOMCI and you will find somebody there to help you.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It is a scott 3 cylinder lower unit, If it is the same impeller those are being made yet by people. Join the AOMCI and you will find somebody there to help you.
I chased Baldwin filters. The link you mentioned is Australian. I'm in the USA. Went pretty far down the road with petroil.mx. Over a two week period they said they could get them, had them double check, still all good till the processed payment then found out that they couldn't get them.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
John from Zemp did call me today and he is still modifying impellers to fit. Have two coming. He said filters a thermostats were no longer and only option is to run without.

Also called robertsmaritimesystems.com and got lots of back but he has no parts

matt167

Captain
since 24104 lists for home heating oil as well... I'd chance and buy one of these https://www.amazon.com/General-2605...ords=furnace+oil+filter&qid=1642019569&sr=8-8 The filtration specs match up and the threads do as well. It should work. These I think were adapted from the get go as Crosley used a canister filter ( CH11RP, long gone ). Earlier Crosleys used a bypass system for filtration ( or no filter at all ) but I don't really know too much... You could add a bypass system really easy but it might not fit under the hood

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The one you listed if the picture is accurate has the wrong Inlet holes. The one that goes on the motor only has the whole that's threaded and none of the multiple holes around that. Unless somebody could come up with an adapter of some type

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make an adapter to fit a popular filter on there.-----There are so many good small filters to pick from.

matt167

Captain
The one you listed if the picture is accurate has the wrong Inlet holes. The one that goes on the motor only has the whole that's threaded and none of the multiple holes around that. Unless somebody could come up with an adapter of some type

Your right. I looked at it. Not right. I think that is the filter that is unobtainable that the Crosley boards are referencing as NLA. CH11RP

However, I think you have an oil filter adapter just like the Crosleys, and if so. Service Motors sells modified adapters. https://www.servicemotors.net/?product_cat=&s=oil&post_type=product

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Your right. I looked at it. Not right. I think that is the filter that is unobtainable that the Crosley boards are referencing as NLA. CH11RP

However, I think you have an oil filter adapter just like the Crosleys, and if so. Service Motors sells modified adapters. https://www.servicemotors.net/?product_cat=&s=oil&post_type=product now that's a good idea! Hadn't thought of that! Somebody that would build an adapter to take a bypass common filter would be whipped if you could still make everything fit happy under the hood.
Now that's a good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Somebody that would build an adapter to take a bypass type common filter would be the whip if you could still make everything fit happy under the hood. I'll have to look at things closer.

I called the guys at service Motors that you linked, and they didn't have anything to fit the what he called "high performance motor"

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Those are the high performance version of that motor. A lot of people pulled the powerheads off of those and put them in the cars. Just because they were more powerful.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Make an adapter to fit a popular filter on there.-----There are so many good small filters to pick from.
When the snow level drops I'll have to pull one of my existing filters and see what we have there now and do a little brain storming. This may be the ticket. I hate to run without a filter especially on an old engine.

mtboatin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this is an old thread but I am selling my project boat with the dual bear cats. I was able to collect oil filters over time. Most off of ebay. So they are out there and come up every now and then. Will be selling my stash .