Be on time-Rant

D

DJ

I fequent two small businesses. I like to keep things close to home, if possible.<br /><br />The two I frequent are a cleaners and a pool supply store.<br /><br />Both post business hours beginning at 9:30 AM-weekdays.<br /><br />Trouble is, THEY"RE NEVER THERE AT 9:30.<br /><br />I make a point to be there at their "posted" business opening time, why can't they?<br /><br />When I ask them about it, they just shrug. They're both nice people, just habitually tardy.<br /><br />I see this as a growing trend, in small business. I've witnessed it elsewhere, at less frequented establishments.<br /><br />A hint to small business owners. Treat the customer right, their time is valuable too.<br /><br />I guess the "on time" thing is lost on todays generation. It's all about "me".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Be on time-Rant

I'm with you, DJ.<br /><br />The worst offenders are Docs. Appointment at 8: AM, lucky if you see him/her before 10: :mad: <br /><br />I am obsessively early. Was born in 8.5 months and will probably show up early for my funeral. :D

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

If they are never there at that time, why dont they change it?<br /><br />I would look for another business that is more eager to earn my money.<br /><br />Ken

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DJ,<br />I agree!! If you don't get there until 9:40 then advertise you open at 9:40! Or better yet, say that you open at 10:00 but get there at 9:40, to have everything open and turned on for your customers, hmmm what a concept.

D

DJ

another business that is more eager to earn my money.<br />
That is a concept long lost.<br /><br />Wal Mart gets it, but we all know how EVIL they are. :rolleyes:

D

DJ

The opening time is NOT the issue. If they move the time back to 10:00, god knows when they'll get there, if at all.

dolluper

Captain

Hard to say on that one Go at lunch but maybe their to busy eating to serve you But make sure your there atleast half hour before closing to make sure they might be there I think the best way is send the wife poof no more headeakes MAYBE :confused: :confused:

D

DJ

I can't believe what I'm reading. From what I can tell, it's MY fault.<br /><br />Geez!

dolluper

Captain

It's not your fault just crappy buisness people I was always at the shop early and I always stayed laiter the cost of having your own buisness l thaught that's why I send wifee can't deal with bad buisness people

gaugeguy

Captain

I buy my shiners from the bait store at the foot of the lake. They are supposed to be open at 6am, I can't count the times I have been waiting until 6:30 to get bait to get on the ice :mad:

dolluper

Captain

JB hit the nail on the head boy Doc's and dentist's never on time and you don't be late if you are you have to give them 48 hours notice GO FIGURE you knew you were going to have a flat tire that early I wish :mad: :mad:

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I'm an impatient bastage when it comes to this too.<br /><br />nothing like standing there in need of something and having to wait for Jr. to get out of bed... My father told me once that the east coast has been working for an hour by the time we (here in the midwest) are 'punching in'.. so get yer arse up and goin' so we can keep up.. what a motivational tactic! ;) <br /><br />Like GG .. especially PO'd when it comes to bait! :D

aspeck

Staff member

If I am late, it is like telling someone that my time if more important than theirs. Therefore, I try to be at least 10 minutes early for everything.<br /><br />Sooo.... when someone else is late ... I get a little testy thinking, "Okay, there time is much more valuable than mine - at least in their eyes." In business world I will let some one be late once, or maybe twice, but don't keep me waiting a third time, I don't care how good your price is, you are history.

salty87

Commander

no doubt these 2 businesses aren't doing themselves any favors but (says this ducking)...if they are NEVER there on time, why do you go there at that time?<br /><br />don't get me wrong, i can see how it would be frustrating.

Twidget

Commander

I used to work at a ma and pa business, they would show up right at opening time, open the place up, start the coffee, make a head call, then worry about businees at about 8:45. I was just the employee and it drove me nuts.<br /><br />They never did figure out why the business wasnt growing quickly. :eek:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When I worked as a Bldg Maint Super at a country club, I would always by our supplies mid april. During the previous season they too were always late to open up. Hey, I can't be gone from the clubhouse too long, my housekeepers would be doing who knows. I always made it a point to them that if the door says 8AM, that means you should be here at 8AM. They to shrugged it off. <br /><br />When april of the new season came around and left to go get the years supplies (about $7500), I just knew they would be closed. Showed up anyway, sign on door, 8AM. My watch said 8:45. They weren't open yet. I left my card saying thanks for the past service, my time is important and your competition was pleased to get my business. I suggest changing your opening times. <br /><br />They took the advice, started opening at 9AM, but they still didn't open up on time. Geesh.

ebbtide176

Commander

i don't ever go to places like that at opening time, because its so irritating when they're not open. the gas station/bait stores all seem like that. and i really don't want to start off a good relaxing day on the lake with an irritation ;) <br /><br />when me & another guy started up what was planned on being a franchised auto electrical shop in the mid 80's, we always got there early enough to get the coffee, air compr, lights all going early. because there is always a portion of society that does show up right at posted opening time...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

They show up at opening time to beat the rush.<br />Get there, get your stuff and leave, but nooooooooooo, never works that way.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I called an appliance repair place near me for a heater element for my dryer. They had one in stock but would be closed by the time I could get there. Guy said he couldn't stick around and wait on me but that he would put the part beside his building and I could just put an envelope with a check in it underneath the door.<br /><br />I got over there and sure enough, there was the part.<br /><br />I slid the check under the door.<br /><br />Now they are a much bigger operation but still treat me the same way.

Twidget

Commander

It happens at all levels. Wasn't Bill Clinton almost an hour late for his first inauguration?(Not trying to start anything, I just seem to remember this.)<br /><br />I was raised around the Air Force. If you had a doctors appointment at 9, you had better be there no later than 8:45 if you wanted to be seen. The always overbooked. <br /><br />That is something that still carries over with me all these years later. On time is borderline late. :)