Bayliner Trophy Fishing Boat

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class
Right ! I have come to the conclusion that my ideal vessel would be a Trophy Hardtop with the wheelhouse bulkhead. Problem is the ones I like are late 80's, combine this with the dubious Bayliner reputation and i am now a little doubtfull ???<br />The reason why iam so keen on this model is that I boat all year round,(yes I know I am in the UK and our weather is crappy at best!) I need a boat that is small enough for me to handle on my own, (i.e mooring) has an enclosed wheelhouse so i can have a cup of darjeeling without getting wet, a small sleeping area, and a self draining cockpit/deck so i dont have to mess about with covers, zips studs etc oh, and is also quick off the mark when I need to head for the safety of the marina. So i thought who better to ask than you helpfull bunch of dudes/dudettes what you think of this model. :)

D

DJ

Re: Bayliner Trophy Fishing Boat

If you can find one without a soft floor-go for it.

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Small wheelhouse boats are much more popular in Europe than in the US. I wouldn't limit myself to Trophy.<br /><br />Kelly Cook

rottenray6402

Ensign

Hey Neil, my son has an 89 Trophy and has very good service from it. It trailers relatively easy and performs well with the power (Ford V-8, not sure what HP) and is it nice to be inside when it's raining and still be able to fish! The boat is solid and has the all fiberglass deck so there is no carpet or any of that to mess with. I keep reading about how bad Bayliners are but he has had his for 8 years and has had no serious problems.

studlymandingo

Commander

I think you will do fine with the Trophy, just as has been suggested, do a thorough inspection looking for soft spots. Good luck, and enjoy your darjeeling (whatever that may be)!!!

neilmw

Petty Officer 1st Class

cheers guys, glad the response hasnt been too bad.....<br />by the way darjeeling = Type of Tea just a quirky term some of us limes use.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.

A 30 year old boat motor combo, may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

Neverhome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 2002, 2359 Trophy Bulkhead and love it. It does everything I want, handles well and takes rough water extremely well. I am not familiar with the earlier modes when Bayliner made them. Trophy split off from them some years ago, but from what I have read on the Bayliner forum, the newer models are much better constructed. The stringers are foam filled and the only wood in the boat is in the transom. Check out www.baylinerownersclub.com. There are a lot of Trophy owners there.
One thing to be sure to check is the gas tank as the Ethenol gas now on the market is playing havoc with all brands of boats manufactured prior to 2002. I don't think you will go wrong if you have the boat surveyed prior to buying it. A lot of people trash Bayliners but I have spent a great deal of time on the Atlantic Coast over the last twelve years, and have seen a lot of Bayliners, all on top of the water. :) Used 2359's are hard to find for sale.
That alone tells me owners like them.

Good luck.

Neverhome